A Brighter Day

Eli wasn't thrilled, but at the same time, he was relieved. Gray was filling in for Elizabeth at his request. He was annoyed that the man who drew his attention so effortlessly was working within his reach, but he wasn't around. At the same time, he was relieved he would be out of office for a few days. He wasn't looking forward to him finding out that he was really the boss. Leo said that day in the elevator that if Gray knew who Eli was, he would be intimidated.

Eli didn't want to intimidate Gray. Hell, it was probably the first time he wanted someone to not be afraid of or weary around him.

"Thank you for coming to meet with us, Mr. Levine." Said the CEO of the engineering company he was meeting, and Eli snapped out of his thoughts to offer the man a firm handshake and a nod.

Gray was enjoying his job and it brought about a sort of nostalgic ache. This sort of thing is what he was studying to do back then. He really thought he would finish school, graduate, and hopefully land a job that paid decent and had enough benefits for him to live comfortably. He didn't think his life would have been flipped upside down like it had.

It didn't take him long to familiarize himself with the files and clients he needed to in order to do his job. He was in his element.

What had started off as a terrible day had brightened considerably.

Leopold Talcot popped in a couple of times to see how things were progressing and he wasn't disappointed. Leopold was doing the job of Eli Levine, Gray's superior whom he had yet to meet. Mr. Levine was out for meetings and would apparently not be in for a few days.
He was relieved although he didn't know why.

"Are you going for lunch, Gray?" Leo asked and Gray looked up before glancing at the clock and doing a double take.

Where had the time gone?

"Yes, Mr. Talcot, if that's alright with you."

"You and I are going to disagree if you don't stop calling me Mr. Talcot. We're going to be working closer now and I'd appreciate it if you just called me Leo." He chided with a playful grin.

"Yes, Leo," Gray tested the name out and Leo grinned broadly.

"There we go! You go ahead and get lunch. I'll man the fort until you get back." Leo smiled and Gray nodded.

"Thank you. Would you like anything on my way back?"

"I'm alright. You enjoy your lunch."

He went to the usual café where Sean was on duty.

"Hey love. Didn't think I'd be seeing you today." He smiled.

"I didn't bring lunch today either." He admitted sheepishly and Sean laughed.

"Take a seat anywhere and I'll be with you in a minute."

Gray took his usual seat and barely sat down when someone sat opposite him. He didn't have to look up to see who it was.

"Levi," he greeted and the man chuckled.

"Am I the only one brave enough to sit with you?" He asked.

"You the only one weird enough to sit with me when there are empty tables." He muttered under his breath and Eli chuckled.

"How has your day been?"

Gray subconsciously touched he back of his head and winced when he felt a bump that sent a bolt of pain shooting through his skull. He had been so caught up in enjoying his new, temporary job that he forgot about it.

"Are you alright? What happened to your head?" Eli asked in concern when Gray made a pained expression.

"Oh...just a small accident." Gray mumbled and Eli knew he was lying.