Respect Thine Elders

Gray slipped through the elevator doors just before they shut and breathed a sigh of relief that he made it. The sound of laughter startled him.

"You could've asked me to hold the doors, Gray." Thomas grinned and the much smaller man bent his head in embarrassment.

"I didn't realize you were the one who got in."

"Of course you didn't with that wall of paper you're holding. Here, let me help you with that." Thomas chuckled.

Much like most of the others working in this building, he was quite taken by the man known as Gray Maxim. It didn't matter whether they were male or female. The departments had this instinct to look out for the mild mannered, frail looking man. Gray was pretty in a feminine way with his pale skin, soft features and wide, ash grey eyes. He was quite short, coming up shorter than all of the male staff, and a number of the females as well. His voice was soft and soothing and he never seemed to get angry no matter what. He was hard working but seemed tired at the moment. There were dark rings starting to form under his eyes and he was losing weight rapidly.

"Thank you, Thomas, but I can manage them." He smiled over the mass of rolled papers he was hugging.

"Do you really not dye your hair?" He asked curiously.

Gray let out a soft laugh and shook his head.
"I really don't. It's genetic. My body has less pigmentations than other people, which is why my eyes and hair are grey, and my skin is pale."

His hair was straight with fine, silky, spiderweb-like strands reaching mid back. He always kept it in a neat, low ponytail at work.

"Don't let the upper levels overwork you, kid." Thomas smiled kindly before his tall, gangly frame exited the elevator.

The doors shut and he was going up once more. He wasn't the only errand runner, but the others seemed to dislike him and didn't talk to him at all. The people in the departments were nice though. They smiled with him and greeted him warmly. He wasn't sure what he did to be disliked by the other errand runners, so he didn't know how to fix it.

The doors slid open once more.

"Oh! Good morning, Gray. I almost didn't see you behind those plans." Leo laughed and Gray flushed.

"Good morning, Mr. Talcot."

"Come on, I told you to call me Leo. Everyone else does." He grinned as the doors closed.

Eli, who had entered with Leo, looked up from the report he was reading when he heard his cousin laugh. He was stunned by the sight of a grey ponytail and a pair of equally grey eyes.

Silver, he thought.

"See you later, Gray." Leo grinned brightly as the doors opened for the man dressed in a white, long sleeved shirt and black pants to leave.

"You're going to get sued for sexual harassment if you don't stop flirting at work, not to mention Addy is going to tear you a new one." Eli warned as the door closed with the two of them alone inside.

Leo stared at Eli for a moment longer before he erupted into a fit of hearty laughter that brought tears to his eyes.

"What is it?" The dark haired man asked irritatedly, not sure what part of the joke he was missing.

"I think you've got it all wrong, Eli. Gray is a man."

He savored the look of raw shock on his cousin's face, and the only moment in his life that he had ever seen the man dumbfounded.
There were little to no things that really caught Eli off guard, and learning that the person who just left the elevator was a man turned out to be one of the rarities. His voice wasn't feminine, but it wasn't overly masculine either. His build was petite, his hair was long and from what Eli saw when he did look up, the boy had pretty, delicate features.