Episode 9: New Girl Part 1

It was a typical day at school, with the class filled with everything except the teacher. Morgan was checking her phone, Cam was reading a textbook, Pym was talking with another kid, and James was sketching something in his notebook.

Mrs. Finch scurried in, miraculously balancing her body on her heels. Her face was stretched in that gaudy grin. "Class," she hopped in her heels. "We have a new student with us. I expect you to treat her with the same respect and care you give everyone else." The class groaned in response. "Alright, then! I'll go get her." She toddled out of her room, her heels pitter-pattering.

Pym looked up. "There's a new girl?"

Morgan shrugged. "Looks like," she stretched out, wincing something popped in her back.

Mrs. Finch shuffled back in, bouncing on her heels. "Class, this is Sylvie. Sylvie, this is the class. Why don't you introduce yourself?"

A pale girl stepped into the room, stopping before the desk and turning on the heel. She had thick rust-colored hair, pulled away from her face into a tenuous bun, with thick bangs shielding the left half of her face. Her left arm was bound in a cast, and the corresponding leg was also somewhat stiffer, judging by her stride.

"Hello," she smiled. "I'm Lushton, Sylvie Lushton." She coughed into her fist, glancing around expectantly.

"What happened to your arm?"

Mrs. Finch scolded the student, but Sylvie calmed her down. "I was in an accident when I was young," she scratched at her cast, chuckling lightly. "Got burnt bad," her laugh dissolved into a wince.

"Thank you, Sylvie." Mrs. Finch waved at an empty seat, directly next to Morgan's, one seat away from Pym's. "I know it's hard to be in a new school with new people, but I'm happy your here with us." She turned back to the class. "Everyone, take out a piece of paper, take out a ..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You sure this is a good idea? " Pym shifted in his seat.

"Nope!" Morgan smiled. "Just trying to be a good student!" She leaned back, craning her neck far back. She looked at Sylvie, who smiled and waved in return.

Mrs. Finch stepped in, squeaking excitedly. She set a stack of papers on her desk, brushed down her skirt, and smiled at the class. "Children," she hopped in her heels. "Today, we have a special assignment. As you know, March 22nd is National Sing Out Day. So," she giggled behind her hand. "Everyone, get into groups of two to four. Your assignment is to create a music video about a scene from your favorite book." She smiled. "It can be any song, one that exists, a parody, anything."

A hand popped up. "Yes, Mel?"

"Can we write our own song?"

"Of course, dear." Another hand popped up. "Yes, Cambria?"

"When's it due?"

"By the end of the month."

The class burst into a flurry, kids grabbing and yelling at each other. Morgan turned in her seat. "Hey, Sylvie." The blonde looked up. "You wanna work with us?"

Sylvie tilled her head. "Who's 'us'?"

Morgan pointed over her shoulder. "The gang," Cam looked up from her book and Pym waved excitedly.

Sylvie pursed her lips before smiling faintly. "Okay, sure."

Morgan smiled, doing a one eighty and giving her friends a wink. Pym gave her a grimace-like smile while Cam slammed her head on her desk.