Avengers Civil War: Recruited by Tony Stark

Peter returned home from school, greeting his Aunt May and then mentioning a 'crazy car' parked outside the apartment building. The presence of Tony Stark, his biggest idol, in the living room caught Peter off-guard and left him speechless. Parker became confused when Stark told his aunt that Stark Industries planned to give him a sizable grant, claiming that Peter had signed up for it in the past, which he had not.

During a private conversation in Peter's room, Tony showed him footage of the rumored "Spider-Man" that was said to be active in New York City for several months. His videos showed a figure in red and blue clothing apprehending criminals and stopping speeding cars with his bare hands. Stark jokingly wondered if that figure was not Parker, to which Parker awkwardly denied the figure's existence, instead simply claiming that all of the footage had been edited.

Parker kept claiming that the video was fake footage that was made on a computer, but his cover was blown when Stark discovered the makeshift outfit that Parker used as his costume. Peter had no other choice than to confess that he had been Spider-Man for six months. Stark ridiculed Parker for his cheap costume, but was impressed by, and complimented, the tensile strength of his web fluid and asked who had made it, as Parker admitted that he had made it.

Peter became defensive when Tony mocked the design of Peter's goggles from his costume, explaining that the goggles helped him focus his senses. When Tony asked why he became Spider-Man, Peter, without going into detail, explained that he understood that he needed to stop bad things from happening. Stark invited him to come to Germany to confront Captain America, but Parker claimed he had too much homework to go out and join the mission.

Tony said that the mission could be dangerous and decided to tell May that he was taking Peter out on a field trip. As Stark walked toward the door, Parker overreacted for a moment and had used his own Web-Shooters to web Stark's hand next to the doorknob, telling him not to tell May. Tony relented but asked to be freed from his webbing, and Peter freed his hand from the door awkwardly so he could leave as Peter and Tony then went to Germany.