37 - Man of the series

"Rohit, I don't think this is a good idea." She spoke to him over a call as she travelled by a cab. Her other hand was fidgeting with the hem of her tote bag.

"Come on Diya. I met your parents... Now you need to meet mine... And you just have to meet my father."

"Yes. But you are not here with me."

"I know sweetheart that I should have been there. But I am sorry, I can't help it ... You know that the match is today, right?"

"Then can't we just postpone the meeting. We could meet them tomorrow... It is a Sunday too."

"Dad is leaving by today evening's flight to Chennai. He has a meeting there. That's the reason he is not coming for the match too."

"Ohhh..." Diya said softly.

"Diya, my father is not going to eat you up. He just wants to meet you and have a short conversation with you... And whatever you say, I am sure you cannot feel as nervous as I feel when we meet your father. Your father is so..." He stopped mid-sentence.

"What?... My father is so what?"

"Charming."

"I am sure, that wasn't what you were going to say."

"It was... Sweetie... Please, just meet my father."

"Alright."

"Thanks dear..." Mwah He gave her a kiss through the call. "I got to go now. See ya later sweetheart."

"Bye." Diya cut the call. Her hand fell on her lap and she looked out of the window.

It was not the first time she was meeting Rohit's father. She had met his father and mother at the Diwali bash organised by the Singhal's. But they hardly spoke that day. Rohit's parents were busy attending other guests while Roit and Diya spent time with their friends. But also she could not forget their surprised faces when Rohit introduced her to them as his girlfriend. Although they gave her a warm smile later, she had doubts as to whether they liked her.

What if they do not like me? What if Rohit's father has called me to stay away from his son? To break up with him? Will I have to leave Rohit? Will our relationship end then... Oh God! .... No wonder Aditya was stressed the day I had invited him to meet my parents.

"Ma'am... we have arrived at your destination." The driver said as he stopped the car.

"Thank you!" Diya said and grabbed her bag before stepping out of the cab.

She entered the building and was stopped for security check. There were mirrors in the lobby before the reception area. She stopped there for a moment to check herself.

Hope I look alright!

She was wearing jeans with a white shirt tucked inside. Over it she had worn a navy blue sweater pullover and was wearing plain black loafers for her feet. She was also carrying a brown saddle bag.

"Good Morning." She greeted the receptionist. "I am here to meet Mr Amit Singhal."

"Do you have an appointment?"

"Ummm... no, but I am supposed to meet him today."

"Mr Singhal does not meet anyone without an appointment."

"Could you please just dial him and ask him... Please tell him Diya Gupta is here to meet him."

"Girl, I told you Mr Singhal does not meet anyone without an appointment. So if you want to meet him get an appointment. If you want, I'll apply for an appointment..."