Chapter 11: Karla's last farewell

Karla's POV

Neymar was calling his driver to come and pick us up. He dropped us at a very large mall in the centre of the city. We came in the electronics shop on the second floor. Neymar came to the clerk and said something, which I didn't understand, and gave her money in exchange for a box.

''You said you didn't have a proper phone.'' he gave me a white box. 
''No, absolutely not. I can't let you buy me so expensive things, I can't give you anyithing in return.'' I said giving it to him.
''But how are you going to send me photos when you're home?'' he said.
''Neymar...'' I said.

I eventually accepted the present. He said it was okay but I knew the media will make a story out of this. Neymar breaks up with a nice Brazilian girl to be with a European gold digger. I can already picture the front pages. Afterwards he took me to lunch at a very fancy restaurant called Aquarius.

''I know I've been putting this question off for too long but I have to ask you: how will we work?'' he said. 
''I've been hoping you wouldn't ask me this.'' I said nervously.
''Long distance doesn't work as often. But I don't want to break up.'' he said.
''Me neither. But I'll be so far away and I have school. And I'm scared to come home. They will kill me.'' I said looking into his eyes.
''Somehow we will manage. I promise.'' he promised me the second time. 

He took me to the beach too. It was really warm and sunny so we stayed there the whole day. I just needed to get my mind off of things. I was in the water more often because I wasn't the skinniest girl alive. I was uncomfortable a bit because people were staring at Neymar and me with him. We had to leave at four because Neymar had practice at five.

(...)

The hotel was once again crowded. I received a text from Joseph to meet him at seven in the restaurant. The girls were already there and I was the last to come.

''You're late.'' Barbara said.
''It's six fifty nine.'' I replied.
''Take it down a notch girls.'' Joseph commanded.
''What, I just said she's late.'' Barbara said.
''Anyways, I want you all in the lobby tomorrow at exactly eight in the morning. Understood? Good. As for the next four hours...'' Then I just disconnected. Firstly I thought what to say to my mom when she finds out about Neymar. Secondly I thought about Neymar. I can't believe this will maybe be the last time I'll ever see him. And I'll hate the 10th June forever, the day we met. If I hadn't met him, the sadness which is overflowing me now, would not exist.

(...)

Ten to ten. We finished dinner. I went up to the fifth floor very slowly holding my heels in my hands. Room 503. I walk in and I see David and Neymar sleeping. They were probably exhausted from training so I didn't wake them up. I started to pack my suitcases when Neymar woke up.

''Princesa, hey.'' he said with a raspy voice.
''Hey yourself.'' my voice cracked at yourself.
''What's the matter, love?'' he asked.
''Nobody has ever loved me the way you do. And I will miss that. You have no idea how many times I wanted to just break down and cry into somebody's chest? But I didn't have anyone. Now I do. And so fast I will lose you. I can't handle that. I'm only sixteen.'' I wiped the tears coming down my face. He kneeled beside me and kissed me on my forehead.
''You're burning up!'' he said.

He grabbed a cloth and soaked it in ice cold water. Neymar took the blankets and pillows and made a bed on the floor. I laid on him with my head on his chest while he put the cold cloth on my forehead. He was repeating countless times he loved me. 

(...)

At seven o'clock my alarm rang. It was the day. The boys were already up and ready with breakfast.

''Hey love, how are you feeling?'' Neymar asked moving my hair out of my face.
''Better.'' I said.

Neymar kissed me and made the bed while I went to the bathroom. I was still burning up. I took a shower, brushed my teeth, tied my hair and dressed myself. They were eating some sandwiches so I joined in as well. My suitcase was ready to go and it was ten to eight.

''I'm gonna miss you sixteen.'' David said and hugged me. 
''Me too muscle boy.'' I said.

Neymar and I came down the stairs to meet Joseph who was with Maria and Mia. Surprisingly Barbara was running late. The girls were talking to Neymar although they were really shy. Joseph was calling a taxi so we waited a bit until our ride was here. In the meantime, Barbara came down scanning me from head to toe. She didn't even say hi so I gave her the silent treatment. Mia and Maria were expecting one of us soon to pop. But I stayed silent.

''Come on people, we're gonna be late.'' Joseph was standing in front of the taxi which was waiting for us.
''We're not in a rush.'' Maria looked at Barbara and then at me.

We arrived at the airport at nine o'clock. We had to wait until half past eleven to get in the airplane. Three goddamn hours. The benches were all taken so we had to sit on the floor. I showed my new phone to the girls but not Barbara.

''You actually bought her a phone?'' Mia asked Neymar.
''And also this.'' I put my left hand out so they could see my ring. ''It costed a fortune. He over did it.''
''It' really nothing. If I have money, I'll buy you the world with it. I just hope that, if we ever run out of money, you will still be mine.'' he said.
''I'll break down to pieces, stop it.'' I said putting my head on his shoulder.
''A gold digger, that's what she is.'' Barbara said quietly.

''What did you just say?'' I stood up.
''The truth?'' she replied.
''You know what? I've had it with you, okay? I've been fucking silent all through this trip but now it's the end. Do you have a problem with me, with him?'' I pointed to Neymar.

She was quiet.

''Well, do you?'' I asked again.

She just looked at me. The others had a serious face that was expecting Barbara to say something.

''Okay fine. Two can play that game.'' I said and turned away from her. I was just furious,
''Calm down babe.'' Neymar whispered into my ear. 

The seats were now empty so he took my hand and we sat there. We still had to wait for an hour. I was really tired because I didn't get much sleep last night so I layed down and put my head on his lap. 

''Just thirty more minutes.'' he said and kissed my hands.
''Please don't remind..'' the receptionist interrupted me:

''Flight 104 to Frankfurt is taking on in thirty minutes. All the passengers must come aboard. Thank you.''

''No, no. I guess this is me.'' I looked him in his eyes which were tearing up.
''Don't go. Stay with me.'' he said.
''You know I can't. I love you so so much and don't you forget me.'' I said in a strict  but cracking voice.

He stroked my hair and kissed my forehead. He wasn't letting go. Neither was I. My knees were shaking and eyes red from all the tears. Pain of loosing someone. The worst one of all.

''I'll never forget.'' he took a breath. ''I love you princesa.''

As I was walking down the tunnel, he was slowly fading away. I found my seat by the window. Nobody was sitting with me and the girls were all sitting together in the middle row. This was my last goodbye. I only know him for a couple of days but it seems like eternity to me. Maybe this is the last time I'll ever be with him. As they say, you only know you love somebody when you let them go.