Chapter 13: Interrogation

Neymar's POV

''If you don't stop playing like shit, you're out.'' the coach repeated this sentence over and over. And the worst part was that I knew I was bad. But I couldn't do anything about it. 
''Pull yourself together, all right?'' he asked  with his hand on my shoulder.
''Yeah, I'll do better.'' I said.

Anger was building up inside me. Every single one of my coaches criticized me. I could take criticism, but they were making a big deal out of it. So what if I don't play as good. I just need time but they didn't understand. I just wanted to sit on the benches and not play. On purpose.

''Hey man, are you okay?'' David asked sitting next to me in the bus.
''No. How can I be okay when I'm yelled at over and over again?'' I said.
''You miss her.'' he looked at me.
''Of course I do. It's a living hell.'' I said rubbing my forehead with my hand. ''The only thing I'm capable of doing is not working for me anymore.''
''Do you want me to talk to the coach?'' he said standing up.
''Sit down. He won't listen. He's got no interest in our personal life, just how we play. And I suck.'' I said.
''What are you going to do?'' he asked.

I knew he was going to get upset when I tell him my plan. I thought it through a million times and I really think that is the best. He said I'll be off the team if I don't play better. Than how about I don't play at all?

''You're mad!'' he looked at me like I killed someone.
''But I can't take it. If they think they can play without me, so be it.'' I said.
''Neymar. That might cost you this season, the trophy!'' he said almost yelling.
''I'm not going to die David. The trophy is ours besides, it will be only for a few days.'' I assured him I'll be fine.
''How do you know? It can go badly, just don't do it!'' he said.

(...)

''I can't do that, I could be banned from playing.'' Camilo said refusing my offer.
''Money, jewelry, anything, please!'' I begged him.
''Neymar, I don't want you to get injured. I'd be all over the media, please understand me.'' he said.
''Understand me. I've had it enough with Scolari and the coaches. Put yourself in my position.'' I said.
''Why don't you just say you won't play?'' he asked.
''I'll never play again.'' I said.
''Neymar... Fine.'' he hesitated but eventually we shook hands.

Everything was set for tomorrows game with Colombia. I was kinda scared of tomorrow. I knew what was going to happen but still I was worried. The nights were getting lonelier. Just myself and the moon. I talked to it like it was alive. I was hoping she would hear me and respond. She must be sleeping now. I haven't heard her voice for sixteen days now.

''Come on man, you'll talk to her tomorrow. Sleep, a big game tomorrow.'' David patted my back and went to sleep.
''Yeah, tomorrow.'' I said and soon fell asleep.

Karla's POV

''Are you asleep? I would be in 4am.'' I talked to myself. 

I was laying in my bed in complete dark. Brazil-Colombia is today. I've worn Neymar's blue shirt whenever they played and they would always win. So I put it on just for good luck. I fell asleep kissing the ring he gave me.

(...)

''What were you thinking?!'' my mom's shouting voice woke me up. 
''What's wrong?'' I asked.
''This is what's wrong!'' she turned on my TV. There was a re-run of last night's celebrity gossip show.

''The young Croatian beauty was spotted wearing a ring while holding her man's hand. A source tells us the couple has been engaged for a month now. Barca's WAGs, be prepared to add in another member!'' 

''That's not true.'' I said.
''I don't care, I'm calling the police, he'll be arrested and that's the end of the story.'' she took her phone and called the police.
''Mom, no! It's not his fault! Why can't you see that?'' I asked repetitively.
''End of discussion Karla!'' my dad ordered.

He's going to prison. I can't believe. I can't believe they would do that to their only daughter. I warned him this would happen but he didn't listen. Now he's in trouble because of me. And the game is only six hours away.

''Come on, we're going to the police. They want to ask you some questions.'' mom said.

Neymar's POV

''Neymar! The police wants to talk to you.'' I heard David yell.
''What? How can I help you?'' I thought maybe Camilo chickened out and went to the police.
''Come with us, we have some questions for you.

They both were sitting in a blank room with a mirror and a table. They were scared. Only them and two policemen were there. She was playing with her fingers to somehow stop her knees from shaking. He was constantly biting his inner lip to distract himself from the fact he was questioned in a station.

'You know a relationship with a minor is felony.'
Neymar- Yes, I know.
Karla- Yes, I know.
'And sexual harassment is...'
Neymar- I didn't harass her!
Karla- He didn't harass me!
'Okay, let's say that's not what happened. Why did you let yourself start a relationship which would end up in court?'
Neymar- Because I love her.
Karla- Because I love him.
'So you're telling me your love is so strong that you would risk jail for it?'
Neymar- Yes it is.
Karla- Yes it is.
'Yeah, sure, but that is still a criminal act. Besides, how were you planning on being together when you're miles away?'
Neymar- We'll figure something out. I promised.
Karla- We'll figure something out. He promised.
'Aha. My colleges and I will decide what to do with you. In the meantime, stay away from each other.'

Karla's POV

''What about a restraining order?'' my mom asked quietly so I couldn't hear but I did.
''Yes, we took care of that. Your copy will be delivered in minutes.'' the police officer replied.
''He doesn't know about that, right?'' she said.
''No, he'll immediately end up in prison if he comes closer that 10 metres. I assure you, she will be safe.'' he grinned.

They were talking so quietly but I'd always hear things that people want to hide from me. I waited outside the room I was questioned anxiously pulling the skin off my fingers. Habit. I've waited for her to exit the room for fifteen minutes. 

''Let's go. That son of a bitch will never get close to you.'' she said exiting the station.
''What?'' I asked like I didn't know what was going on.
''Nothing.'' she said.

When she left for work I was home alone. Dad was at his brother's house working. I tired to call Neymar fifty two times but he didn't answer. Then I remembered to look at the clock. The game already started. I turned the TV on and it was already the twentieth minute. Brazil was leading 1-0 . My eyes were only concentrated on Neymar and not on the game at all. Soon David scored an amazing goal. But Neymar was playing... not good. I could see that and I think he did too. 

80'
Penalty for Colombia. James takes and scores. Only ten minutes until the end.

83'
Hulk out, Ramires in.

86'
Hernanes replaces Paulinho. Just four more minutes. I'm biting my lip while constantly looking at the clock. A few more minutes.

88'
My love's back hits the floor as the referee stops the game. He isn't getting up.