7

B E R L I N, G E R M A N Y

May 23rd, 2016

"Thanks for your collaboration." Sharon smiles as she accompanies me to our cell. We've just spent forty-five minutes of rigorous interrogation in an isolated room but I'm pretty positive it's all been recorded. I'm not proud of it, but I've had to lie. I already had the story made up. Bucky told me to use it if I got caught, so I'm trusting him and sticking to that routine. I told her that I left my husband and flew to Europe. That I had met Bucky in Bucharest and we had been dating for a few months. That I had no idea who he was before we met. I'm sure my decision to lie will complicate the situation once the truth is revealed, but I did it to win as much time as I could. "You shouldn't stay here for much longer."

I give Sharon a weak smile in return and sit down across from Steve. She nods at Sam and after patting Steve's shoulder, he follows her outside the office and leaves me and the captain alone.

"How is he?" Steve askes, referring himself to his oldest friend.

"He was fine until they put him in that box." I reply and he shakes his head with a loud exhale. I remember what I read about him on the museum. I know how much Bucky means to him, just as much as what he does to me. "Sometimes, he talks about you."

That's not exactly untrue. We talk about him, but just to try to get Bucky to remember about his old life again. We think that maybe like simple conversations trigger me to remember my training, hearing news about Steve could help him. But so far, it hadn't. "What about me?"

"Childhood memories, army stories,..." That is straight-up a lie, but I do it to get him on my side. It seems to make him grin in reminiscence and I take my chance to talk to him. "He didn't do it, Steve."

"See, I know you made all of that up. Bucky didn't know who I was, I very much doubt he ever talked about me." My strategy has backfired. "Are you just saying that to save yourself too? I know what you are, I saw it in his journal."