Chapter 12

Zendaya's POV

I sat on Lauryn's bed, waiting for the brunette to return to her room. She'd stepped out into the hall to talk to Brie. About what...I don't know if I even want to know.

Brie Larson asked her to marry her. I might as well just pack my things and go back home. If Captain Marvel asks you to marry her you say yes. No matter what your status in the world is. Only a dummy says no.

Lauryn walked into the room closing the door behind her. We made eye contact. She let out a breath and stood next to the head board where I sat.

"I'm sorry about all this. I didn't tell you because I didn't think it'd be important," Lauryn started.

"You don't have to explain if you don't want to," I said. I didn't want to know. It'd probably just make me more invested. She's probably about to tell me she chose Brie anyway.

"No, I want to. You deserve an explanation." Lauryn sat next to me on the bed. "The day after you'd said no I'd thought you really meant it. I hadn't expected you to change your mind or even think about me afterwards. I was gonna call Brie but she had called me first..."

Flashback...

"Hi," Lauryn said shyly.

"Hey, so what did she say?" Brie asked through the phone.

"She said she couldn't. She didn't want to hurt her boyfriend," Lauryn replied.

"Did she at least tell you who he was?"

"No, but it doesn't matter. I don't really want to talk about it." It was silent for a moment when Brie asked the anticipated question.

"So...did you ever read my letter?"

"I did."

"And?" Lauryn didn't know if she wanted to respond or not. She risked losing her best friend or not having any other choice.

"I-I-"

Present...

"...before I could answer my phone died, and I decided it was best if I didn't respond," Lauryn finished. I ran my hand through my hair, taking in everything she said.

"So what do you want to do?" I asked again.

"I want to be with you," Lauryn said without hesitation. I wanted to at least try. It's crazy, but I haven't had crazy in a while. Why the hell not?

I leaned forward pressing my lips onto hers. I searched for even an ounce of anything other than lust. I found the possibility for a beautiful love to bloom over time. I found the opportunity for a great friendship, for everything I wanted in the right conditions.

I cupped her cheek bringing her closer to me. She snaked her arm under my hair and over my shoulder. We pulled back staring deeply into each other's eyes.

"Will you marry me?" I nodded and smiled, connecting our lips again.

Lauryn grabbed the engagement ring from behind me. She opened the box, and took the ring out.

As she slid it on my finger I felt my heart beat a strange pattern

As she slid it on my finger I felt my heart beat a strange pattern. I've never felt this before, but I know I want to feel it again.

...

I woke up holding Lauryn in my arms. I can't believe this is real. I'm actually holding my crush, and we're gonna get married in a few weeks.

This is the stuff that only happens in fairytales. I ran my hand through her hair, admiring her as she slept. Or so I thought.

"Are you watching me sleep?" Lauryn mumbled with her eyes closed.

"I-I...yeah," I chuckled with a raspy voice. She snuggled into my neck, intertwining our legs.

"It's okay. I'm sure I'll do the same at some point." We shared a laugh, returning to our silence. I took her hand in mine placing a light kiss on the back of it. I turned my head to face hers not realizing how close we were.

She closed the gap in between us, connecting our lips. As we kissed all the feelings from last night resurfaced and I could feel my face heating up.

Lauryn smiled into the kiss and started giggling. "What?" I asked with a smile.

"I just never thought I'd actually be with you. And here you are," Lauryn smiled.

"You're so cute Lou," I complimented making her blush. I kissed her forehead, pulling her body into mine once more.

"We should get dressed. I told my mom I'd tell her who my fiancé is today," Lauryn said. I nodded at her.

Crap, I don't have any clothes. Maybe I could text Darnell and ask him to bring me some.

"What're you thinking about Z?"

"I forgot I didn't bring any clothes. I didn't exactly plan on staying last night."

"Well I have some clothes you can borrow. I like over-sized clothes so there should be something in there for you to wear."

"Okay, thanks."

"Anything for you." Lauryn kissed my cheek getting out of bed. Another blush grew over my face. She sure knows how to make a girl smile.

Author's POV

"I just feel weird being formally introduced in a sweatshirt," Zendaya said picking at the sleeves of the sweatshirt Brie had gotten Lauryn (clearly she didn't tell her).

"She'll understand when I explain it to her. She's still my mom even if she is the queen. Besides you look cute," Lauryn assured. She held her hands out for Zendaya to take.

"Thank you." The brunette helped her fiancé to her feet, and the two sauntered down the long hallway towards the foyer. Just as they reached the steps Zendaya realized she'd forgotten her phone.

"Oh I'll be right back. I forgot my phone," Zendaya said.

"Okay, we'll be downstairs. It sounds like she's talking to someone." Zendaya kissed the princess's cheek and jogged back to Lauryn's room.

She grabbed her phone returning to the hallway. Just as she reached the top of the steps she'd seen Brie, Lauryn, and the queen standing in the foyer.

"I'm so happy for the two of you. I always knew it'd be you two in the end," Mrs. McClain gushed.

"But she-"

"Thank you Momma Shonty. We really appreciate it," Brie said cutting Lauryn off. The taller woman pulled Lauryn into her embrace kissing her head.

Lauryn uncomfortably shifted in Brie's arms. She turned around catching Zendaya's eyes. Her face saddened and before she could say anything Zendaya had already turned back.

"Zendaya!" Lauryn ran out of Brie's arms and up the staircase. The Queen eyed Brie up and down.

"What was that about?"