Chapter 18

"Zendaya wait!"

Zendaya's POV

I opened the front door of the building, hearing my name being called behind me. Paparazzi turned to me shouting my name and flashing their cameras in my direction. I lifted my dress skirts and ran down the stairs through the crowd. Tears ran down my face as I made it to a quiet bookstore down the street.

Heads turned, but no one said anything to me as I walked into the bathroom. I closed the door leaning against it and sliding to the floor. My lip trembled as I tried to hold in my tears.

Stupid, stupid, so stupid. How could I not see this coming? She never really wanted me anyways. Should've never answered that first letter.

Stupid

Stupid!

A knock on the door interrupted my wallowing. "Daya, baby it's Mom. Open the door sweetie," she said from the other side of the door. I trembled a bit, and reached up to unlock the door. Mom kneeled down beside me, wrapping me in her arms as yet another sob escaped my lips. "It's okay baby. I know, I know."

"But why mom, why? S-She embarrased m-me in front of the whole..w-world," I cried. She ran her hand up and down my back in a comforting motion.

"I don't know Z, but you do have to talk to her. I've been talking to her mom, and she's been telling me all week how infatuated Lauryn is with you. Even though I haven't known her long I know she wouldn't do that to you. It seems like a misunderstanding." I shook my head. My heart clenched at the thought of speaking to her. I want to so badly, but I have a feeling all it would do is make me feel worse. "Well we gotta do something. Everyone's been looking for you."

With the help of my mom, I made my way into the palace unnoticed. As she walked me towards the Queen's office, I heard voices rattling off the wall.

"THAT MEANS NOTHING TO ME! I SAID NO! I SAID I WANTED TO MARRY ZENDAYA! WHAT IN THE HELL MADE YOU THINK YOU HAD ANY SORT OF FUCKING CHANCE?!" It was nice to know that at least Lauryn was being vocal about it. She seemed to have this pattern of shying away from any real confrontation all throughout these past few months.

My mom knocked on the door, and all eyes were on me as we entered. Lauryn still looked utterly radiant in her gown even though you could tell she gave up on keeping her look intact. "Z, I'm so so so so sorry," she said holding my hands in hers. Brie glared at me as if I'd killed her mom or something. My gaze fell to the ground as I unlaced our fingers from each other.

"Can we have a minute alone?" I announced. Everyone turned towards the Queen and when she moved towards the door, so did everyone else. I sat down in the chair in front of the large oak desk. I rested my head in my hands, trying to hold back the tears beginning to well up in my eyes. "I just..."

Lauryn kneeled in front of me, taking my hands in hers once again. She kissed my left hand, bringing it to her heart. "I swear to you I had no fucking idea she was going to be here. I made it so so abundantly clear that she had no chance and..." All she could do was shake her head.

"It's not even that. Do you know how stupid I look? Dumping my boyfriend, leaving my home, leaving my friends and family, all so they could watch me walk down the aisle in front of an entire country to look like an idiot," I said as tears ran down my face. "I'm more angry with myself than anyone right now, and I hate it. I hate this feeling because I know none of it's my fault. And I know it wasn't yours, but it sure as hell feels like it." Lauryn's expression was unreadable, and I didn't want to stay and watch her hurt. I know now that I love her. And I know now that it didn't matter.

...

I sat in the bay window in my room, watching people socialize outside in the castle gardens. They're continuing with the rest of the weeks events whether or not I attend. It was more for Lauryn than me anyways. She's the royal of the Royal Wedding after all.

Knock, knock, knock.

"Come in!" No one responded. I was hesitant to get up with what's been happening with Brie lately. I rolled off the bed and made my way to the door to find a letter had been slid under.

Dear Zendaya,

I'm not writing to apologize. You're probably tired of me saying it anyways. It seem that they aren't amounting to anything anyways, so what does it matter? I miss you. I hate being down here smiling in people's faces while you're alone. I hate that we can't just be alone and in love. If I could make the choice and know my family would be safe, I'd choose you. Over and over again. I'd choose us. I'd choose a quiet life out in he country side with our puppies, and a nice house with a porch for us to sit and paint on. Just like you wanted.

Actually that sounds pretty good. We should do that. If you can meet me in the kitchen at three tonight, we'll run and I'll do it just for us. We'll get married, and have a quiet honeymoon. I'll take care of everything. Please just meet me. It'll be perfect. I promise.

I love you,
Lauryn
P.S. I really am sorry

I giggled at the smiley face she drew in corner, and held the letter close to me. I think I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna meet her. Tonight.