Chapter 4

Lauryn's POV

"You should already be engaged. But since you're not we're going to continue the process anyways of planning your wedding," my mom said.

"But I-"

"No buts about it. You knew what was happening when you agreed to take the throne. It's your duty as a princess-"

"I haven't even been a princess for five years. Just a couple months ago you hated this," I brought up.

"Well there's no point in whining. We just have to accept it. Now, I want you to be on time for your gown fitting. It's at three do not be late." I groaned flopping back on my bed. I'm up for no more than ten minutes, and am already getting lectured. I tapped Brie's shoulder.

"Brie, get up. I have to be at my dress fitting at three, and I want you to come with me," I whispered in my best friend's ear. She groaned sprawled out on her stomach. "C'mon Bree."

Brie lifted her head up looking at me. "Do we have to get up now?"

"Not exactly. I can wash up first and you can go after me," I said.

"Okay Lou Lou." She put the pillow over her head, before turning away from me. I rolled out from under the covers and walked into my bathroom. I sighed turning on the shower water. This is gonna be a long day.

...

"Which shirt should I wear?" I asked holding up a crop top and sweatshirt in front of Brie.

"Neither." I furrowed my eyebrows at her.

"Then what should I wear?" Brie bent over to her suitcase and took out a Captain Marvel sweatshirt.

"I stole a couple of these from set, but I want you to have the best one. I got it signed by Stan Lee before he passed," Brie said cheesing at the woman. I smiled brightly.

"Thanks Bree Bree." I pulled her into a tight hug. "I really wish I could've met him."

"Me too. I wish you would come to set and visit sometime."

"Maybe if Zendaya and I get married, I'll bring her along with me," I said putting on the sweatshirt.

Brie looked down and said, "About that I was thinking maybe-" She was interrupted when Sierra and China walked in.

"C'mon guys. Mom's waiting for us downstairs so we can go," China said. Brie sighed and put her hands in her pocket, walking out of the room. "You know she likes you right?"

"Don't be crazy. We're just friends," I said rolling up the sleeves of the sweatshirt.

"I don't think she wants to be. China just might be right," Sierra said. I shook my head walking out of the room.

"Y'all are crazy."

"Yeah crazy right."

...

"Here's the first dress," the fitting counselor said, as she held up the back of my skirt for me. I held up the front as walked onto the pedestal. My mother, sisters, and Brie looked at me in awe. I looked at myself in the mirror. "So what do you think?"

"I like the top of it, but I wish there wasn't so much skirt," I said, looking the older woman in the eye.

"I was about to say...it does look like a lot," Brie said. China and Sierra nodded in agreement.

"Let's try another one."

...

"This one's a lot different than the other one. That's for sure." I walked in the room. The dress was form fitting, and had a slit on the side exposing my leg. My mom shook her head before my foot could even hit the pedestal.

"No," she said with her arms crossed. I looked at myself in the mirror.

"It's a no for me too. It makes me look awkward," I said running my hands down my sides.

"I think you look pretty in it," Brie complimented.

"Thanks Bree. This just isn't the dress though." She smiled at me and I smiled in return. I saw my older sister whisper something to my younger. "What do you have to say Si Si?"

"Nothing," Sierra shrugged. I rolled my eyes and sighed, returning to my reflection.

"Next dress."

...

It'd been almost twenty dresses, and there was always something wrong with it. The sleeves were too short, they were too itchy, they were too silky, the skirt was too big, too long, made me look weird. The list would go on and on and on. This was the twentieth dress. The counselor helped me button up the last button when a knock came to the door.

"I'll get that for you sweetie." The woman opened the door and found Sierra waiting there.

"There was a letter waiting for you but, Brie wanted you to get it right away," my sister said.

"Thanks Si. I'll be out in a second," I said. She nodded before walking away.

"I'll give you a minute alone. It must be important," the counselor said. The biweekly letter from Zendaya. I sat in the chair opening the envelope seal.

Dear Lou,

It's nice to have something to call you. Noon is fine. We recently took him to the vet to get him a cone for flea season. He keeps biting himself, and I'm worried it'll make him bleed.

Poor baby. I hope he's gonna be alright.

But anyway, we should play yes or no. It's like twenty one questions but shorter and actually requires points. You get a point every time you answer yes and minus two points if no. First one to five wins. I'll start. Do you have any pets?

Write back soon,

Zendaya

I held the letter close to my chest. I stood up and walked into the main hallway. "I'm ready," I said to my dress consultant. We walked into the waiting area where everyone sat. My moms eyes lit up—in a good way. I saw tears get into her eyes, and if I'm not wrong I saw Brie's eyes mist up a little too.

I stepped onto the pedestal one last time. I looked at my reflection and smiled.

"This is the one. This is for her."