Chapter Two

Yawning, I collected my bags and slowly trundled out of the airport. It had taken ages to get my passports checked and to get through the American security... I had been told that they were strict, now I knew that that was an understatement.

I climbed in to the yellow cab, too tired to really take in the changes all around me. The weather was calm, reasonably similar to the typical British weather of May.

When we arrived at the nearest travel lodge, I hauled out my bags and made my way to the reception in a daze not taking in anything that was going on around me-

"Hey! Watch out!"

Before I knew what was happening, I was shoved to the side, my head was whirling and trying to figure out what was going on whilst struggling in a fog of jet lag...

The man who'd shoved me seemed to be trying to make a getaway, I tried to follow him but my brain and limbs just couldn't communicate. I felt as though my limbs were made from jelly and I was trying to walk through thick custard. Out of the corner of my eye I could see a woman with auburn red hair, chasing after the man before tackling him down to the ground. She jogged back the reception and handed me my purse. I hadn't even realised it was gone.

"Here you go, kid. You'd better keep your wits about you now"

She had a faint Russian accent but spoke as if she was trying to hide it and blend in with the sea of Americans. I struggled to get my head around what had just happened, I'd never been pick pocketed before and struggled to realise when the thief had his opportunity to pinch my purse.

"Uh... Thanks" was all that I could manage towards the woman, but one look in her direction told me that she'd already gone.