Chapter Three

I lay down on my bed, trying to understand what had just happened. I'd only just arrived and my holiday was already a whirlwind.

The lady at the reception had seemed incredibly flustered and seemed anxious to suit my every need. But all I wanted was a place to lie down. Once she was reassured that I was happy and fine, and would accept free breakfast the next day, she left me alone.

I struggled to place the woman who'd recovered my purse. I felt as though I knew her but at the same time she was a complete stranger. It was almost as though I knew her sister or something, someone really similar to her, but not quite her. I let my breath escape me like a deflated balloon. I'd has too much excitement for my whole holiday, let alone one day.

I dug my phone out of my pocket and sent a quick text to my mum, assuring her that I'd arrived okay and that everything had gone according to plan, I casually forgot to mention the pick pocket situation.

A couple of hours later, after a quick nap and a shower, I was feeling fresh and ready to go. I couldn't think if anything better to do than to start exploring the city, so I set off to no other place than the Empire State Building.