seventeen

George's POV 

It was early in the morning and Alex still hadn't come home. I paced up and down my kitchen for the 7th time until i remembered my date with Tess.  Shit, I couldn't cancel. I just had to just rush straight to finding Alex afterwards, i mean maybe he would be home by then.

I had arrived at the small coffee shop earlier than arranged. The machines were yet to warm, so I pondered the chance to rest a moment longer, to drink in the aroma of this place. I had slept later yesterday due to the alcohol and hours of pathetically ranting to the girl I was meant to stay away from. I was honestly worried sick but Tess wouldn't like it at all if I cancelled. Tess didn't like a lot of things I did, I tried not to mind most of the time. 

She wouldn't like when I surrounded myself with video games and social media, saying its a waste of time or that I should find a proper job. These things didn't exactly sit right with me, i mean I loved my job so i'd never quit it, but I guess I was just afraid of losing someone who seemed to actually want to date me. Girls liking me didn't happen often. 

I leaned my head against the heavily condensated window, it had been raining the previous night causing the gloom of the morning to pretty much represent my mood. The sounds of whirring coffee machines and the chatter of the room became louder and louder until my hangover took over. By that point my eyes were closed and the voices became muffled.  I found myself in a daydream about... Grace.

"Hey babe" My thoughts were soon interrupted by Tess sitting down opposite me.

"Fuck" I mumbled under my breath, I quickly opened my eyes and fake smiled

 "Whatcha thinking about?" she winked, carefully opening up her bag for some lipstick and a mini mirror. 

"Oh nothing," I looked down nervously, she'd be fuming if I told her the truth about my daydream - I don't think she liked Grace all that much.

She raised one of her slim, dark eyebrows "You okay babe?" 

"Oh yeah just a hangover" I fake smiled, in hope it was realistic.

"A hangover? You've been drinking? who with?" She applied a slab of glossy lipstick onto her lips, not looking up from her mirror.

"Oh uh just the lads" I tried my best to convince her everything was okay.

She nodded, putting away the makeup as a worker came to take our order. 

-time skip-

I watched Tess disappear into an uber and then I started heading home myself. It had taken way longer than expected for the date to end and I started getting nervous. The walk didn't usually take long but my worries seemed to make it take decades. I hoped Alex was home, I needed him to be home. I wouldn't be able to face myself if he wasn't. I tried to reassure myself it would be okay, he'd be back home and it would all be good again.

As soon as I arrived at the apartment block I felt the knot of anxiety in my stomach twist tighter. What the fuck was I meant to do if he wasn't there? I headed up the stairs until i reached my apartment.

I opened the door to what looked like an empty apartment. I mean he could just be in his room or something right? I scrambled down the corridor and checked all the rooms; he wasn't there. I panicked and tried calling him.

ring ring

 I flopped on the couch and anxiously waited for him to pick up.

ring ring

no response. 

The uneasy feeling in my stomach had gotten worse and worse, i couldn't even hear myself think, what do i do if something had happened to him? 

Grace, she'll know what to do. I hurried down to Grace's apartment and burst through the door to hear her and Will recording. I ran into her room, phew it wasn't a live stream.

"Woah George? What's up?" She got up and tried to calm my nerves.

"It's Alex" I replied, out of breath from the running.

"What's happened?" Will looked at me. 

"He- he's gone, we had an argument last night and he walked out."

"Shit uh, have you tried calling him?" Grace gripped my arm to calm me down.

"Of course i have, no response." 

"I'll call around, he couldn't of gone far" Will picked up his phone to call James when he got an incoming call from an unknown number.

"Is this William Lenney?"

"Yes It is" he said smiling, that smile quickly faded.

"We need you at the hospital"

A/N: sorry this is so short, wanted the cliffhanger. Hope you're enjoying it so far! Leave thoughts in the comments x