A New Year's Promise - Kakashi

"Well, another year is over."

It was nearly midnight, adn the kids were asleep, sprawled out all over the living room, too young to make it to midnight but still eager to try. Sakumaru and Inari were sprawled out in blankets on the floor. Kaori and Sarada had both crawled onto the armchair next to the couch, falling asleep there. Sakura was asleep in her bedroom, having been at the hospital with an emergency since the previous night. 

Kakashi got up from the couch briefly, gently covering the girls with a balnket before returning to the warmth and confort of his wife under their own blanket. She handed him back his steaming cup of green tea, snuggling again into his side. The snow was falling hard and fast, but it was of little consequence to them , at least for the moment. The heart had a dancing fire in it's belly to keep them warm; the light making the shadows dance on the walls. Everyone in the House of Hatake was softly nestled in for the long winter's night.

"Yeah, but was it a good one?"

He smiled.

"Yeah, it was.."

What wasn't to like? He had a new, beautiful daughter, a beautiful new niece, and Sakura was home to stay. His boys were getting bigger and stronger every day and really becoming their own little people. He had gotten to spend another year with the love of his life. He was still the Hokage, and he had a hell of a team supporting him in Shikamaru, Shizune, and Tsunade. They were still in a time of peace, which was a different feeling than he, and the village, were used to. He was blessed with more than his younger self could have ever imagined.

He looked over at his wife, who had her cup up to her chin, holding it with both hands, staring absentmindedly into the flames.

"Hey, Z. Did you ever think you would have all of this when you were a kid? A house, a family, a husband?"

She giggled her sweet giggle.

"No, honestly. I was just in survival mode; focusing on getting through another day. You?"

"I felt the same. It was never a dream I had until I was in the torture chamber and I had a vision of you in a white wedding kimono."

"That still takes my breath away when you say it."

He put an arm around her shoulders and pulled her closer to him.

"I truly believe it was fate that brought us together again. I've always belonged to you, and you've always belonged to me.. I'm grateful for the people who have cared for your heart before I could come back to claim it.  Especially Kisame."

"He was a good man who went down the wrong path.  I'm grateful for Amari."

Kakashi grinned sadly.

"Me too.  I know she's reunited with Kanta, though.  She's finally at peace."

They sat in silence for a while, until they could hear cheers and fireworks popping, breaking up the peaceful, snowy scene outside.

"It must be midnight."

Mizuka leaned over and moved Kakashi's face closer to hers, kissing him slowly and very sweetly.  Her kiss sent elecricity through his body, just like it always did.   

"Happy New Year, Lord Sixth."

"Happy New Year, Lady Z."

They kissed once more as the noise outside died down, making things outside peaceful once more.  

"Wow, it's really coming down outside.  It reminds me of the night that you came back to me."

It did.  He was cocooned next to her in a blanket, this time not in and out of consciousness, and in an much better place in his life.Mizuka was nuzzled into the crook of his necck, watching the fire.

"Are you sad that Kaori will probably be your last child?"

The question surprised him a little, but this was something he already knew in his heart.  He had three precious children; he was far more blessed than he could have ever imagined.

"I'm perfectly fine with that.  These kids are amazing.  But I will miss that sexy pregnancy body.  I fucking love it."

He looked over at her and smirked.    She giggled and rested her hand on his chest lovingly.

"Don't worry, I don't think this baby body is going anywhere anytime soon."

"Good.  I think it's beautiful."

He placed a hand on her belly, making her blush.  A moment later, he laid down and pulled her on top of himself, pulling the blanket over her shoulders.  She rested her head in the crook of his shoulder again, nestling in again very tenderly before kissing his neck gently.

"Thanks for being the most incredible, supportive partner, Kakashi-kun."

"Remember when we weren't sure if we could make our relationship work?"

"Yeah, we were afraid that our relationship was based solely on sex, because we couldn't keep our hands off of each other?"

They both laughed.

"That was a long time ago, I wish I could go back and tell myself from that time that, although you were the most beautiful woman I had ever seen, there was so much more to us.  We were just overwhelmed and couldn't see it."

"Make me a promise, Kakashi."

"Hmm? What's that?"

"Another year of marital bliss with you."

He laughed.

"I want a lot more than one year."

He placed his hands under her sweater, on the small of her back, rubbing gently.  Soon, she was asleep, breathing slow, warm breaths onto his neck and chest.  He looked around at his family, keeping watch over his young clan as they slept, knowing that he was the luckiest man in the world.