Chapter 10: Discovery

The next morning, Sora walks around the place. As he walks by the command room, he hears Drake talking to Smith. 

Drake: Well, do we have good news, Smith?

Smith: Yes. Some squads managed to make some outposts out there. That way, we'll be able to save more people and surviving units out there. 

Drake: Excellent. Now we'll have a big stand. 

Sora listens to them, and then leaves to continue his walk. Just then, he hears some Marines talking. He walks to the direction, and he sees them talking as some scientists standing by them. He figures they must have arrived here. 

Scientist: Gentlemen, we need to talk to who ever is in charge here. They need to know what you're all up against besides those zombies. 

Marine: Ma'am, the Generals are talking right now. We'll let you see them when they're done. 

Sora: (Walks to them) Well, I think they're done talking now. Who are these people, guys?

Marine 2: We found them outside. They said there were 10 of them, and now there's only few of them left. 

Sora: Wait. (Sniffs) What's that smell? Something smells rotten. 

Just then, they all hear Alice screaming outside. Takashi, and the others hear her too. They all run outside. All the soldiers run outside. They all see Alice standing and looking at a dead body covered in slime, and goo. Zeke and Mulan stand by her. 

Sora: Rei, Saya, get Alice out of here. We don't want her to see more of this. 

Rei: Ok. 

Saya: Come on, Alice. Come with us. 

They both carry Alice away from the body. The dogs follow them. Washington, Wilson, Rico, Jason, and Takashi look at the body. One of the scientists come look at the body too. Washington looks at the body, and suddenly recognizes it.

Washington: Oh, gosh. It's Higgins. 

Wilson: Dang. So, that's what happened to him. But how did he end up here?

Jason: Well, judging from all this, something dragged him in here last night while we were sleeping. 

Sora looks at Higgins' face. Suddenly, Higgins moves his eyes, and looks at Sora. Everyone jumps from this.

Sora: Oh, my gosh! He's still alive! 

The scientist walks to Higgins, and checks his pulse. 

Scientist: His pulse is faint, but it's there. Look for bite marks. 

Takashi: Bite marks? (Looks at Higgins, and sees the marks) Sora, they look just like...

Sora: Just like the ones Parker had when we found him, I know. 

Scientist: He's alive, but only technically. He's paralyzed, and almost certainly brain dead. This is the virus' final stage. 

Washington: Virus? So, this whole thing didn't happen from a disease?

Scientist: No. That's what we need to talk to your general about.

Wilson: Guys? Look what I found on him. 

They all look to see Wilson digging through the slime, and to their shock, he's holding an egg. 

Scientist: Eggs... It's a nest...The slime and goo must be keeping the eggs safe, and preserved. 

Wilson: Yes, but, but...they're inside him! 

Scientist: Oh, gosh. This is horrible.

Just then, Drake and Smith come outside to see what is going on. One of the Marines told them what happened.