Chapter 17: Tunnels

The group continues walking through the woods, making their way to the compound. 

Tristan: Sir, Drake wants us to hurry. He's getting a feeling that those zombies might be able to get through the wall and into the warehouse.

Baxter: Give me the radio, Lance Corporal Harris.

Tristan gives him the radio, and he uses it to contact Drake. 

Baxter: General Drake, this is Lieutenant Baxter. We're still long ways to the compound. We're trying to get there as fast as we can. 

Drake on radio: Team, you need to hurry. Smith said some of the zombies breached one of the lower levels in the warehouse with the snakes, but we haven't located the source. 

Baxter: We read you, General. We're stepping on it. 

Drake on radio: Good. Now, listen. We're gonna move down floor by floor to clean them out. We've got enough power to last two weeks if we have to stay here. 

Baxter: Copy that, sir. 

Collins: Lieutenant, there's something heading our way! 

Baxter looks to the right, and he sees something moving through the bushes. Then out comes a green anaconda. 

Sora: It's another giant anaconda! 

Baxter: Open fire, open fire! 

They all open fire on the snake. The team back up as the snake continues heading towards them. A marine tries to make a run for it, but the snake grabs him with its jaw. He screams as it bites him on his chest. It shakes him around. He drops his gun as it begins tearing him apart. Sora and Rei trip on the ground as they both watch the marine getting tore apart. Jason takes out a grenade, and throws it at the snake. It lands by the snake as it continues tearing the marine apart. 

Jason: Get down!

They all duck as the grenade goes off. The explosion hits the snake, but it doesn't kill it. Just dazes it. It hisses, and then screeches. The team gets back up. 

Sora: Crap! It didn't work!

Baxter: Move out!

They fire at it to slow it down as they all run. Sora looks around to see if they can lose the snake. Then, he spots something ahead. A tunnel. 

Sora: Lieutenant, there's a tunnel, dead ahead! 

Baxter: Good eye, Corporal! All units, head for the tunnel ahead. Keep running until we make it!

They all run to the tunnel. As they run, the snake slithers after them. Sora and Takashi point their weapons, and fire at it while they're running. They make it to the tunnel. Sora and Takashi keep firing at the snake while Darian looks for a switch to close the tunnel. 

Baxter: Corporal, Takashi, get in here! We have to seal the door! 

Takashi: Hang on, sir. We're giving you more time! 

Baxter: I gave you both an order! Get in here now! 

They both run inside. They look around for the controls to the door. Then Cowboy spots the switch outside by the wall. He frowns, knowing if he pulls the switch, he'll be trapped outside with the snake. He inhales, and runs outside to push the switch. 

Baxter: Lee, what the heck are you doing?!

He pushes the switch, and the door slam shut. Everyone looks at the door, and then they hear Cowboy screaming outside. 

Gomez: Cowboy! Cowboy! Dang!!!

Tristan: (Talks on radio) Command, we got two more friendlies down. One of them was Cowboy.