Chapter Twelve

Course after course reached the table and Lexi picked at each one, aware of Gary sitting on the next table, directly opposite her. Each time she stole a glance at him, he was talking to someone on the table, head back laughing he looked so at ease.

Half way through dinner, music started to play and a two people took to the stage. The lighting changed and the beginning chords of the next song echoed through the room. stepping into the spot light they started to sing 'What you mean to me'.

Looking at the act she forgot about the plate in front of her and sang away to the music.

A few more songs were sung and the meal was finished. Lexi looked towards the next table but he was no longer in his chair. Looking around the room and found him taking to the stage once more.

After a few words he walked back stage and out of sight again. The DJ started to play some up-beat songs and people started moving away from their tables.

Standing up Lexi decided she would find where the bathrooms were and started walking towards the entrance they had entered a short while ago. Catching up with her Leanne and Liz followed her through the crowds and along a passage way. Finding the toilets, they dived in quickly before there was too long of a line.

standing at the sinks they applied fresh lipstick and smiled at each other. As the cubicle doors opened Jackie and Rachel emerged and joined them to touch up their makeup.

"This place is gorgeous" Liz said a huge grin on her face.

"Have you seen all the detail?" Rachel asked picking up her purse

"have you seen Howard?" Leanne said winking "boy he's looking good"

"I think he feels the same" Lexi said laughing as they made their way out of the door

"yeah right" Leanne said rolling her eyes

"ummm he was checking you out" Liz replied " the whole table saw it"

Walking back into the ballroom they went back to the table and grabbed the others. The music turned more up tempo and they made their way to the bar. Drinks in hand they moved over to one of the high seated tables and sat down, to people watch for a while. Leanne disappeared and Lexi looked round the room for her, but couldn't see her.

A few minutes later a group of men walked over and introduced themselves to the group. Phoebe and Carlotta were in their element and spent some time flirting and laughing. Leanne came back followed by a waiter carrying a tray of shots. Only Leanne would get the shots straight in.

"Oh Leanne you didn't" Liz shouted above the music and the whole table laughed as she wiggled her eyebrows.

They each lifted a glass and knocked back the shot. Lexi had no idea what she had drank but it was lovely, so sweet, not like the usual face scrunching shots they were given in local bars.

The music turned more upbeat again and Rachel and Marina started pulling everyone to the dance floor. Lexi felt so relaxed as they danced away surrounded by others enjoying the night. After a few songs she made her way back to their table and sipped her drink.

She looked around the room and instantly found where the boys were. Surrounded by a crowd of people, she could see could just see their heads as they moved across the room. Smiling to herself she decided to head back to the dance floor with the others.

Another tray of shots arrived and they each threw it back and carried on dancing. It was like they had been dancing forever but Lexi noticed it had only been for a less than an hour. She was so hot she needed some air, so found the nearest exit and stepped out into the cold night air.

she heard a noise and saw Mark walking around the corner looking into his phone. she instantly froze not knowing what to do with herself. Looking up he smiled just as Liz walked through the door.

"oh sorry" Lexi said "i didn't know anyone was out here"

"no need to apologies" Mark said walking over " Hi I'm Mark. Enjoying the night?"

Liz had stopped dead, eyes huge she realized who had spoken. Pulling herself together she found the courage to step forward. "Its great isn't it" she asked "so much beautiful detail. I'm Liz by the way" she said holding out her hand

"yes, he's really out done himself this time" He said to Liz taking her hand and placing a kiss on the top.

"it's magical" Lexi said blushing, she sounded so stupid. "and I'm Lexi"

"well I don't know about you, but it's far too cold out here now" he said walking back towards the door. Looking back towards Liz, he smiled again and opened the door. As she walked through he bowed as if she were royalty and a cheeky smile lit up his face.

Lexi followed them in, smiling at what had just happened. How Liz was keeping it together was beyond her. Inside the door they stopped to talk and Lexi excused herself. The others were not going to believe this.