17. F o r e s t

It was late, the skies pitch black and the rain beat down against the windows. Nora came to the Gryffindor common room to see Lily but sadly she wasn't there so instead Sirius snuck her inside to hang out as he was already sat on the sofa, staring at the fire alone. They sat for a while chatting about random odds and ends, enjoying how relaxed they felt. Sirius got up and tended to the fire, leaving Nora as she sat watching. Grabbing her wand, she waved it towards the stereo in the corner, firing up the muggle stations.

"And now a classic for those finding their way through a strong feeling... stay wonderful folks" the radio DJ's voice sprung to life before Fooled Around and Fell in Love by Elvin Bishop came on. Nora's eyes went wide and looked down at her book as the music played, trying her hardest not to listen to the lyrics because the more she listened, the more it was about Sirius.

Sirius slowly stood from the fire and turned to look at her. He too knew this song was pretty much about him, Remus would sing it from time to time when Sirius would come back to their dorm looking all smitten. He watched her blush, tucking her hair behind her ears and wanted nothing more than to be near her.

"Come here" He muttered, replicating the relaxing empty atmosphere of his common room.

With a questioning frown, Nora rose from the plush cushion, placing her book down and walked to meet at the fireplace. Without hesitation, his right hand slipped to her hip, pulling her towards his chest as his other hand took her right one, their bodies in a dancing stance. As they began to sway, Nora didn't know where to look. Sirius had his eyes locked on her face, a permanent look of satisfaction on his face. He let go of her hand for a second to lift her chin by his index finger so her eyes would meet his, her cheeks flushing already.

"We don't have a normal friendship, Nora..." he hummed by her ear as he took her hand and began swaying again.

"We don't?" She gave a soft sigh as her eyes closed, enjoying the swaying.

"Don't play dumb with me, Darlin" he pulled her closer, her eyes popping open followed by her tender sweet giggles. He spun her, thankful that it was just the two of them with the warm fire. He would be mortified if his friends saw him dancing like this.

A voice snapped him out of it, pulling away from Nora. The common room door opened and the voice of authority slowly drifted in. Looking at each other with panic stricken eyes, Sirius pulled Nora towards the window, grabbing the thick curtains and covered her. To his luck, she didn't protest.

She stood there, holding her breath and listening out for the footsteps, hoping to Merlin that no-one could sense she was there.

"Black, will you leave the curtains alone" Professor McGonagall's voice became present.

"Minnie! What a lovely surprise! Come to confiscate more stuff? I'll show you upstairs shall I?" Sirius spun around with his arms open wide like a ring leader conducting his circus. Sirius truly was a show off.

"It's been a while since you've last received detention. Would you like to join Mr Potter and Pettigrew this evening??" She sighed, unamused by his shameless taunting.

"Alas, dear Minerva, I have to see a girl about studying!" He flopped on the couch with a big dopy grin.

"Just one girl? She must be special" McGonagall smirked at the state of one of her most troublesome students.

"Very" he voice cracked slightly as he cleared his throat, grinning down as he grabbed the glass of water he left on the side

Nora, still behind the curtains, stood silent but with a heavy feeling in her stomach, twisting and doing backflips. She was warm and there was no chance of her cooling down.