Chapter 23

The next morning, light filtered through the trees and found its way into the cave, shining softly against the boys who were still all cuddled together, fast asleep.

Quentin was the first to wake up. Jason was still halfway on his lap and Stampy was leaning on his side, making him unable to move. He stayed where he was, his hand still rubbing Jason's back.

Stampy stirred awake next when the light shone on him and he stretched and noticed Quentin was up but Jason was still asleep. He gave a small smile.

Quentin rolled his eyes and smirked, his free arm giving Stampy a small shove.

Stampy just grinned a bit more, trying to keep quiet. "You better let him sleep...." he whispered.

Quentin chuckled. "Oh I'm planning on it..."

Stella soon hummed awake and detected Jason was still asleep. "Good morning." She greeted quietly.

"Good morning..." Quentin whispered.

"Has he woken up at all?" She asked.

"Nope, he's knocked out cold."

She sighed softly at that. "Well.... He does need the rest..."

"It's for the best..." Quentin paused, "What happened to him?"

Stella hesitated. "I'm not sure if I should be the one to tell you. But I'm also unsure if he would be able to tell you himself... Or even clearly remembers it right now..."

"He'd probably break down again..."

"Probably..." She agreed. "It was... Rather traumatic."

Quentin sighed. "I'm just glad he's alive..."

"As am I... I wasn't sure if I could use the suit like that. I'm glad I was."

"I'm glad you were there to help him."

"I thought you did not trust me, have you changed your mind?"

"I used to, I just hadn't met a single thing in here that was willing to help me..."

"Understandable. There are very few who dare try to go against Kala, creation or prisoner." She explained.

"Why'd you do it then?"

"I... I don't know... I just... Needed to protect Jason." She replied after a moment.

Quentin nodded and fell silent, not wanting to push her anymore.

Stella noticed that and silently thanked him. "How is your leg today?"

"Better." He nodded. "I'll probably still need help walking though."

"But do enough to move on if Jason is able?"

"Yeah, we still need to splint it though. I think I'll be able to."

Stampy got up and brought the cloth and sticks over. "Here. We should wait for him to wake up though..."

Quentin nodded. "Thanks."

Jason began to stir awake.

Stampy noticed. "Jase?" He asked softly, unsure if he was really waking or not.

"Mmmm...?" Jason's eyes began to slowly open, his grip on Quentin becoming tighter.

"He is starting to regain his senses. Try to keep him calm. He might still feel some pain." Stella instructed.

Quentin continued to rub Jason's back. It took a while but eventually Jason awoke, looking around the cave.

"Hey..." Stampy greeted, keeping his voice low.