Morning Star

I heard someone clear their throat. It was Alec. "Sorry to interrupt. Ash, it's time to face the music. We need to talk to Mom and I can't find Lydia." he said. I nodded.

I turned to Scout. "I'll call you and we can plan that dinner." I said. She gave me one last kiss and walked away.

I saw Alec smiling. "You two are cute together. I'm happy you're happy." Alec said. "I could say the same about you and Magnus." I said.

We found Mom. "Here we go." I said. "Have you spoken with Lydia? No one's seen her since the wedding." Alec asked. Mom said nothing.

"Mom, come on." I said. "Maryse." Dad said. "Mom I understand you're upset but this is.." Alec started but Mom opened her mouth to speak.

"Calling off the wedding would've been one thing... but kissing that warlock in front of the entire Institute? You've embarrassed all of us." Mom said.

"Why? Because he's a guy?" Alec asked. "No. The fact that he is a guy, as you say, is the least of my worries." Mom said. "And if I did the same thing with Scout? She's a Shadowhunter." I asked, knowing that this was about the fact that Magnus is a Downworlder.

"What's the problem then?" Alec asked. "That you chose Magnus Bane." Mom said.

"I hate to break it to you Mom, but love is not a choice. No one chooses who they fall in love with." I said.

"His reputation precedes him. Even for a warlock he's a bit of a lothario. Alec, there's so much you don't know about him." Dad said.

"Well then I plan to get to know him. And if you have a problem with that then I suggest you deal with it." Alec said.

Mom wouldn't even look at us. "Now I have to go find Lydia." Alec said. "She's probably packing for Idris in your father's office. What she did--" Mom started but Alec cut her off.

"Saved my life. So I should go thank her." Alec said and walked away.

"You say Magnus's reputation precedes him, what about yours? What about the fact that you two were part of the Circle while your children were alive? How do you sleep at night knowing that if Valentine succeeded all those years ago, Alec would never be happy with Magnus?" I asked.

"The world is changing and if you don't like that change, I suggest you remember that if you won't accept me, then say your goodbyes to your first born daughter." I said and walked away.

I joined Alec and we found Magnus again. "On a scale of one to ten, how unpleasant was it?" Magnus asked.

"Off the charts." I said. "I've never seen them so angry." Alec said. "Just give them some time." Magnus said.

"You're immortal. Time is on your side." Alec said. "After what I did, what we did. I don't think they'll ever forgive me." Alec said, referring to me.

"Don't underestimate a parent's love." Magnus said. "I'm not giving them time. I gave them a choice. Either they accept me for who I am and support me in my relationship, or they lose me. I don't think they'll choose the latter." I said.

"You don't regret it, do you Alec?" Magnus asked. "Everything happened so fast, I didn't have time to think. I just wanna make sure Lydia's okay. Now I owe her so much." Alec said.

"We owe her." I said. "What she did was nothing short of heroic." Magnus said.

I took a couple steps forward to give them a bit of privacy. I knocked on the door.

"Lydia?" I asked. I opened the door and saw Lydia unconscious on the ground.

"Lydia!" I said and ran to her. Magnus felt her pulse and nodded, meaning she was alive. I handed Alec my stele and he activated her iratze.