2.0: New Years Love

Henley's P.O.V

Duff and I managed to calm Stevie down enough to get him so sleep. He lays in his bed with Bella curled up next to him. I lay next to him as well, mostly because he begged me to. Also because I wanted to comfort him as much as I could. Duff left to get us some Chinese food since it looks like we aren't going out tonight. I turn towards Stevie, lightly stroking his hair. This seems to calm him even more, which makes me smile.

Most would think I have a crush on Steven. I don't. I think of him as a silly older brother that only wants to protect me. And I believe he sees me as a sassy younger sister that only wants to protect him as well. I love Steven with my whole heart, just not in the way I love Duff.

A knock at the door startles me out of my thoughts. I look at Steven, hoping that the loud knocks didn't wake him. I let out the breath I was holding in.

I get out of the bed as carefully as I could. Bella stirs, but falls right back to sleep. I grin at the sight. Somehow Bella moved onto Stevie's chest, curled up in a little ball.

I walk out of Steven's room and to the front door. I open it to reveal Madeline, Hyde, Jake, and Evangeline. They try to walk into the apartment, but I push them back out.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I demand, just wanting them to leave.

"I wanted to apologize to Steven," Madeline explains, trying to push past me into the apartment.

"Oh, hell no," I say, pushing her back. "You are not going to upset him again. You need to get the hell out of here."

"What's with the hostility? I just want to say I'm sorry," Madeline says, crossing her arms.

I scoff. "I just now got him to go to sleep."

"What? Did you move on from Duff to Steven?" Madeline accuses, shoving her finger into my chest.

"No! Steven is my best friend!" I say, feeling myself get more and more upset. "Why did you get mad at him anyway?"

She shrugs. "I wanted to get with Hyde instead."

"Why would you hurt Stevie like that? He was in love with you."

"I don't deserve him," Madeline says quietly.

This catches me off guard. All of the insults I could think of died on my tongue. "W-What?"

"Nothing." She turns to the other three. "Let's go. I have no reason to be here."

Then they all walked off into the night, leaving me stunned. What the hell was that about? Then a saying comes to my mind. It's what my favorite teacher told me once.

We accept the love we think we deserve.

Madeline thinks that she doesn't deserve someone as great as Steven. And at the moment I agree with her. That's probably my anger talking, but I can't help it. She treated the sweetest guy I know like dirt! I'll probably regret those words soon, but for now, I stand by them.

I stand out on the porch for a little while longer. I don't want to go in just yet. I grin as I see the pick up truck Steven and Duff share pull into the small driveway. Duff gets out after a few minutes, his hands full of delicious Chinese food. He walks up the steps, his focus on the ground for some reason. He looks up and jumps fifteen feet in the year.

"Goddamn," Duff breathes, laughing a bit. "You scared me. I didn't expect to see you out here."

"I'm sorry babe," I giggle. I walk over to him and take a bag of food from his hands. I peck him on the lips. He has a dreamy smile on his face, that I think is so adorable. "You're something else."