Breakneck Speed

Rhys' P.O.V

"The leak is in the second bathroom," Rhys said to the plumber. They walked upstairs together and she took him into the second bedroom that was attached to one of the spare rooms. The plumber observed it. "I'll take a look at the plumbing to make sure there are no major concerns but it looks like a simple leak to me. Something probably just needs to be tightened". She left him in the bathroom and went into her room. She couldn't help but notice how empty the area by the window looked now that the crib and curtain were gone. Ben helped her dispose of them right before the season started. He had said that since now the marriage was over, it was time to get rid of the one thing that still tied her to her ex-husband.

He had also mentioned selling the house but this was a symbol of freedom to her. She and Ziggy used their money to buy this place and she wasn't planning to part with it anytime soon. A cat was sleeping on the bed and she sat next to it. He lifted his head and grunted at her before falling back to sleep. Rhys opened the Instagram app and went on Edward's page. She had been rereading the divorce announcement every day since it had been posted. She didn't want to show it, but it hurt. Not divorcing him, but how he worded their relationship.

I would like to share a recent development in my very private life. My wife Rhys and I have decided to divorce after 5 wonderful years of marriage. Each year was filled with great bliss and learning experiences for the both of us. Our marriage survived many hardships, including our son, Harrison, being stillborn. We had a splendid time together and I do wish her all the best in her future endeavors. Though we are no longer husband and wife, we remain close.

She rolled her eyes at the caption. The marriage was anything but wonderful. While it may have been for him, she felt like a prisoner. Constantly being berated and made to feel as though she was worthless. It was torture! She blocked his profile and sat her phone on her stomach. Ziggy walked in and shook her keys. "I found my spare key and thought I should just drop by," she said as she stood in the doorway. Rhys waved her over and she climbed into bed with her, making the cat jump down. The two of them cuddled and a tear slipped from Rhys' eye. 

"What's up buttercup?" Ziggy asked as she nestled into her neck. "Not much. The plumber is here to check out a leak in your old room," Rhys answered. "This old house," she sighed. "Now she wants to act up". Rhys chuckled. "The guy thinks it's just a simple leak," she says. "But what brings you by?" she asks. "I already said I wanted to drop by. I was in the neighborhood and wanted to see how you were feeling. It is November after all. That's when seasonal depression kicks in for people," she giggles. "I can assure you I'm not depressed. I'm doing really well if you must know".

"Ahh," Ziggy said as she sat up. "Does that have anything to do with the edible arrangement I saw on your kitchen counter?" she asked. "No. It's because I just feel good. Life is good and I'm glad I finally divorced that bastard. I hadn't ever really loved him and just thinking of him made my day sour. Now I'm so proud of myself for taking that step and gaining my independence". Rhys sat up as well. "And if I knew I would've received such a big payout, I would've done it sooner!". The two of them laughed and then looked at each other. "I don't think I ever said, but I am proud of you. He was toxic as hell so I never blamed you for having your fun. I'm sure he was having some of his own," Ziggy smiled as Rhys brushed her curls from her face.

"But who are the fruits from?" Ziggy asked. "Benjamin," she smiled. Ziggy nudged her shoulder and pursed her lips. "Getting serious eh?" she joked. "No. We're still just...buddies," she said. "Keep telling yourself that". Ziggy got out the bed and Rhys playfully reached for her. She turned around and gazed into her eyes. Rhys playfully bit her index finger as Ziggy looked at her. A distant intimacy filled the two of them but it quickly faded. "I gotta get going. Your boyfriend is in town and since he has the habit of showing up unannounced, he may walk in on us".

Ben's P.O.V

Ben was tired from being on the road but once he landed back in town, he wanted to see the girl he loved. He drove over to her house and parked in front. He rang her doorbell and she answered almost immediately. "Benjamin," she said. "I was just on my way out". Rhys was wearing a pencil skirt in a peach color, a plain white blouse, a jacket that matched the pants, and tan colored oxfords. Her hair was tousled and she was wearing cat-eye frames. "It's a little cold for your outfit," he says. "I'm used to this kind of weather. It doesn't affect me". He walked in, letting her know that she wouldn't be going anywhere.

She closed the door and followed him into the living room where all five cats happened to be. "I've never seen them all in one room," he says as he sits down. "Yeah this is quite rare," she says. "Your first stop when you come is always the kitchen. Why the living room today?" she asked. "I'm just switching things up". One of the cats approached Ben and rubbed its head against his leg. "Shouldn't you be like, practicing or something? The season has started," she said as she sat down in the bay window. "Today is a rest day so I thought I would come and spend it with my favorite girl".

She grinned hesitantly and he took notice. She put her knees up to her chest. "Why keep coming around?" she finally asked him. He looked over in confusion. "What do you mean?" he asked. "I thought you liked having me around?". She got out of the window and walked into the kitchen. Ben followed her and she looked over at him. "It is nice having you around but what's the appeal now?" she asked. "You know everything about me. The mystery that surrounded me is gone so what keeps you coming back?" she asked as she leaned against the kitchen island. Ben stood in front of her and caressed her cheek. "It was the mystery that reeled me in, but it's your character that keeps me coming back for more".

He leaned in and kissed her. He felt her loosen up as he wrapped his arms around her. He pulled her skirt up so her panties were exposed. She unbuckled his belt and his pants. She tugged at them only partly showing his boxer briefs. He picked her up and sat her on the island. He pulled his pants down and then his boxers. "Is it just me?" she asked as he teased her center. "It's only you," he said. "Only you". He slid his member inside of her and her lips quivered. She wrapped her arms around the back of his neck and took all of him.

They hadn't had sex since the divorce proceedings began and he nearly forgot how good she felt. But once he was in, the memories came rushing back. Not only was he in her, but she let him in unprotected. He didn't even know if she was on the pill, but it didn't matter in this moment. As he kissed her, she threw her head back in pleasure and let out little whimpers. Ben kissed on her neck as he found support on the edge of the kitchen island. Her nails dug into his back through his shirt and he rested his head on her shoulder as he continued. She put her hands on his face and kissed him deeply. Unable to contain himself any longer, he released into her.

He helped her off the counter and she pulled her skirt back down. Ben pulled his pants back up and kissed her. "Care to make a quick grocery run with me?" she asked.