06. | SEPTEMBER RAIN by Mery MB

SHORT STORY

SHORT STORY

When it rains, it pours

When it rains, it pours. Or at least that's what René's grandmother said about the weather in September. She enjoyed the cool breeze that came with it and the polka-dot rain boots that were very stylish these days.

She sang the nursery rhyme in a low whisper. "It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring."

The dog, Forrest, made his way over to her while wagging his little stub of a tail. He rested his bulky head on her lap and batted his eyelashes at her, his big brown eyes begging for attention. He was named after Forrest Gump. Like the movie, he wasn't very bright in some ways but definitely big-hearted. She never understood why he was at the county shelter for so long.

"You're seriously gonna buy him a raincoat?"

Solely focused on the laptop screen, she nodded without looking in the direction the voice came from. "Yes, we'll be matching and lookin' fly when we take walks around the cul de sac."

The stare she felt from him was like a hot glaze from the sun. She knew he had his angry face on display but chose to ignore the melodrama. She loved him with all she had but was not in the mood for a dispute.

When he wouldn't lighten up on the staring she snapped at him, "What, Eddy?"

"You're supposed to be studying for your exam, but instead you're scrolling through doggy gifts dot com for a raincoat." With arms crossed over his wide chest and a disappointed scowl, he shook his head side to side, looking displeased.

"Well, I need a break, don't I?" she replied with a sigh, now glaring at him instead.

The negative energy over them upset Forrest, and he started barking at them. The tension was due to the upcoming deadline for her schooling. She had a week to finish up before she could take her GED, general education diploma, exam. She needed the equivalent of a high school diploma to embark into college next year.

She looked at Forrest, and her features immediately softened. "I'm sorry," she grumbled audibly for Eddy to hear while rubbing Forrest's head and back.