08. | NUMBERS by IzzyJFitz

SHORT STORY

SHORT STORY

"Suction, please

"Suction, please."

My surgical scrub nurse places the suction tube with a .3-mm suction tip into the incision.

Then I peer down the 16-mm diameter access port.

The patient is a soldier. Female, mother, age 30 years and 6 months, discharged on inactive duty for the last 4 months and 3 days with a herniated disc. These are my gold star patients. They want to get back into the fight and have a rigorous exercise routine. In other words, they're active and aren't obese. It takes 5 minutes 30 seconds off my patient positioning time and they have a 17 percent higher recovery rate.

I've precisely placed the surgical incision between the 4th and 5th vertebrae directly over the root compression nerve. Using my dominant hand, I use the Penfield dissector to retract the traversing nerve root. With my non-dominant hand, angled at 90 degrees perpendicular to the patient's spine, I remove the disc herniation with pituitary ronguer.

I stare at my work in pride.

The surgery is a success and will have a recovery time of approximately 6 weeks. I'd completed the surgery in 39 minutes and 21 seconds. It's 2 minutes slower than my best time, which happens to be the fastest recorded time of any successful microdisectomy of a herniated disc. In other words, I am the fastest. And not only the fastest but the best. I have one of the highest patient success and recovery rates in the entire country.

There is a degree of difficulty in MIS surgery. With a circular surgical field, less than 25-mm in diameter, you cannot orient your pathology by using surrounding anatomy. While other spinal surgeons create a foot-long incision along the patient's back to get to the offending pathology, I have an incision the size of a coin. I'm not only the fastest, the best, but I'm also one of the most innovative.

I look over at my surgical resident.

"Close up for me, Dr. Ivanov. I require a coffee break."

I place my tools on the surgical instrument table and take a step back from the patient. And my surgical resident steps forward.

"Yes, Dr. Bassey."