11. | THE IMPORTANCE OF FLIPPING EGGS by Amanda Hare

SHORT STORY

SHORT STORY

"Did you watch Wonder Woman last night?" Sally's voice wasn't excited over sharing a great movie, but suspicious

"Did you watch Wonder Woman last night?" Sally's voice wasn't excited over sharing a great movie, but suspicious. She eyed my Wonder Woman t-shirt with Gal Gadot charging forward in all her feminine glory.

I shrugged and tied my apron over my clothes. "Maybe."

I caught a look and a nod that passed between Barry, who was just about to wrap up from the night shift, and Sally, who was fifteen years my senior and had become like an older sister.

"What?" I grumbled.

"You didn't sleep well, either." Statement, not question.

"How do you know?" I almost wailed. It was like she had a sixth sense about everyone who came in here.

Sally leaned a hip on the counter and crossed her arms over her chest. "Rosie Posie, I've been serving you chocolate shakes since you were old enough to sit on your Grandpa's knee at the counter. You can't hide nothin' from me."

I moved into the kitchen and stood beside Barry at the grill. Sally, like a dog with a bone, followed me and leaned on the end of the counter in there.

"You were crying over him again, weren't you?"

Barry tugged the end of my ponytail. "Rosie, you're way too good for all the guys in this town, but especially Rob Dubois. I never understood what you saw in him anyway."

Once upon a time, Rob had been my high school knight in shining armour. We always talked about getting a place together after graduation, but something changed in him.

Money wasn't the issue because I went from part-time weekends to full-time line cook at Sid's cafe when Arthur, who'd been daytime line cook for thirty years, retired just as I graduated. Rob went into construction which is what he always wanted. He used to brush away my questions about when we'd get a place together, but now two years later he got downright snarly when I asked. Last month, after he moved in with his friends instead of me, I broke up with him.

"Is there any prep left to do?" I asked Barry. He was a great co-worker who left the kitchen clean and the stock done, unless he got a surprise rush which occasionally happened if a chartered bus came through.