12. | PUMPKIN SPICE CUPID by Grace Mark

SHORT STORY

SHORT STORY

Just like the season Fall, my life is scattering down like the leafs

Just like the season Fall, my life is scattering down like the leafs. Getting torn off from the tree, without any idea where the winds will lead them, I'm just wondering in this real world, what my life wants and where it is leading me.

Unlike other countries, people in India, don't actually have a Fall season.

We have festival season. From Durga Pooja to Diwali, our Fall season goes away in the snap of a finger. Instead of getting new dresses for festivals and having tons of dishes, I call it confused-depressing season, and others call it something else.

This period before Winter always comes with confusion, thunderstorms, unseasonal heavy rain and a lot of unhappy incidents.

Should I tell him or let him go?

My situation wasn't good to begin with when this pumpkin dish made it worse.

I hate kids!

See, Shraddha's younger brother put a whole dish of pumpkin seasoned with cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, and other spices on the chair just as I was about to sit down! It was a horrible, messy, immature prank, and I fell right into it. Or sat right into it, to be precise. Me and my jeans-clad butt right into that big bowl of orange-brown glop.

To be frank, if he wasn't the younger brother of my friend Shraddha, I would have yelled at him. But I can't do anything because first of all, he is a kid and second thing, I'm surrounded by lots of people who won't take a second to characterise me as a cruel vamp, even though they've known me since I was six.

I rush toward Tarun's room which is on the first floor of the house. As I reach there, the soft smell reaches my nose. It is Tarun's essence, and I can't ignore the fact how much I love this. But a moment later, I realise, I have to start distancing myself from him. I shake my head in defeat and walk into the bathroom.

There is a jazz song running in the bathroom which I assume, Tarun forget to turn it off.

He has the weird fondness for jazz music which I never understand. Maybe because I'm more like an Ellie Goulding person who also loves Gaga and Pritam's music.