09. | BOSSY CONUNDRUM by Sue Rose Levy

SHORT STORY

SHORT STORY

Yum, pumpkin spice latte

Yum, pumpkin spice latte. A sigh of joy escapes me.

There's nothing like sitting blissfully at your work desk with a latte in hand reminding you that fall is near. Or the weird version of fall in sunny LA.

I inhale the sweet scent for a moment and bring the cup to my lips.

"Staff meeting!" Yells Tatiana Mendez, producer, and director of Oscar-award winning movies. Also known as my boss.

I jump in my seat with a yelp and spill my coffee all over my desk and Avatar t-shirt.

"Yes, ma'am! I'll be right there," I ramble as I gather bundles of tissue paper and try to clean the spilled coffee from my desk before it reaches my precioussss laptop.

"NOW, SAMANTHA!" Tatiana commands once again.

"Yes!" I shriek and jump into a standing position. I gather my things hastily. "Three years working for the troll and she still can't remember Scarlett. Unbelievable," I mumble under my breath as I scramble to the conference room.

When I reach the entrance, the eight members of our cinematography team are already gathered around King Arthur's Round Table. As I take a seat, Queen Mordred herself pulls out a whiteboard and writes each of our names on it. Of course, she remembers everyone's name correctly, except mine...

Suzuki Park? Really! Go float yourself, Mendez!

"All right, people," Tatiana says in a cool voice. "I know you've heard rumors that we're going bankrupt. It's true. For that reason, I'll be going to London to finalize an offer that could get us back on our feet. I'll be assigning tasks to each of you, and I expect them to be completed by the time I'm back."

Tatiana swirls around with the marker in hand and writes down assignments next to each name.

"Everyone needs to submit a first draft to me by next week."

Damn... just a week for so much work. Wait... why am I not--

"Sari, you'll be my assistant for the trip." With that said, she dismisses everyone and walks out of the room.