14. | THE BIG REVEAL: IzzyJFitz Author Interview by Shelley Burbank

Chick Lit

Chick Lit. Romance. Coming of Age. LBGTQ+  -- can one genre contain Wattpad writer @IzzyJFitz? Apparently not! With one popular and prize-nominated Wattpad story under her belt and a sequel underway, Izzy opens up to Shelley Burbank about writing a novel based on her teenage diary entries, the writers she finds most inspirational, honing her craft, and why she chose to leave her narrator in Nameless, well, literally nameless and faceless until the very last chapter of her book.

It's an early-fall day with a little breeze stirring the leaves when Izzy and I finally meet for lunch (virtually, of course) at Le Chien de Pavlov, a quintessentially French restaurant in the quaint town of Bordeaux, France

It's an early-fall day with a little breeze stirring the leaves when Izzy and I finally meet for lunch (virtually, of course) at Le Chien de Pavlov, a quintessentially French restaurant in the quaint town of Bordeaux, France. I'm thrilled Izzy chose Bordeaux because I always wanted to go back to France after spending a college semester in Le Mans ages ago. I'm not disappointed. The charming stone buildings of this historical city huddle close together on tiny streets dotted with bistro tables and chairs for outdoor dining. Above the tangle of roofs, a perfect Cathedral spire pierces a blue sky. Le Chien de Pavlov is tucked on a cobblestone street between two long rows of buildings, a perfect out-of-the-way place to meet for a cozy chat.

I arrive first and gulp down an espresso while watching the passersby, charmed by the bicycles and tiny dogs and shopping bags above which peek long, golden baguettes and bouquets of flowers for some Frenchwoman's dinner table later that evening. In a few minutes, Izzy arrives. I stand and she greets me with a cool smile, sophisticated "Bon jour!", and the briefest of kisses on the cheek. Her elegant appearance draws the gaze of several other diners, male and female.

She's wearing black yoga pants and a white tee with a phrase I can't decipher at the moment beneath a long, tan coat. A chic knit scarf and leather driving slippers complete her totally French, totally chic ensemble. Unfazed by the stares and murmurs around us, we slip into our tiny bistro seats and ask the waiter to bring us a carafe of vin rouge.

When the waiter brings our wine (the same color as Izzy's lipstick, I notice) and a wooden bowl of soft, fragrant bread, Izzy jokes with him in what sounds like a perfect French accent. This is not surprising. After high school and then a few years of college at Arizona State University, she finished her degree in Lyon, France at USAC, a university study abroad program where she learned the language and culture and scratched her itch to travel overseas.