Chapter 3

Strong language will be used, so read at your own risk.

______

My excitement grew bigger as I closed the cupboard's door, after grabbing two plates and placing them on the dinner table. It won't be the perfect dinner, but it sure as hell will be better than every evening I spend by myself, eating overcooked food and wishing I had some company.

The amount of times I've asked my parents for a puppy or a cat is insane, but they always say no because they're never home, and for some reason think I'm not responsible enough to take care of a pet.

But I won't need a pet today because finally, after two months, my mom is having dinner with me. It seems so weird that I feel pressured to do things perfectly. I can't cook, yet I made lasagna; I'm messy, yet I cleaned up everything and set the table nice. It's so odd. I think part of me hopes that if I'm good enough, if I please my mother, maybe, just maybe, she'll want to be with me more often.

I asked her why dad wasn't coming too, and she said he's taking the night shift, as usual. He's a surgeon and she's a nurse, they're both the best ones in their area, so they spend severe nights at the hospital and sometimes are called to other places for conferences and such and have to spend nights at hotels and all.

The money they gain isn't enough to make up for all the times I've needed them and they weren't there. This big house isn't needed if I'm the only one roaming the halls. I constantly ask myself why they had a child if they knew this would happen. The most obvious answer terrifies me, so I always end up pushing these thoughts away.

It's currently 7:30pm and my mom said she'd be home in half an hour. Everything is ready, except the food, of course, and I need something to entertain myself. 

I walk up to the living room and sit on the large sofa, picking up the remote to change the channel on the TV. I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but it sure isn't the documentary on whales that's currently on. I flick through the channels and stop when the image of Hermione Granger fills the screen. It's always a good time to watch Harry Potter, even though I've watched this one about six hundred times.

I pick up my phone in my hands and check for new messages and surprisingly, there's an unread text from Tristan. *I'm bored, what are you up to?*

I can't help but laugh at him. The fact that he doesn't give anyone explanations of anything and completely avoids serious conversations and commitment is amazing.

*Not much, my mom's coming home for dinner so i'm waiting for her* 

A few minutes after I hit 'send', the phone's screen lightens up with another text. *oh i was hoping i could swing by or something but i guess i'll go another day*

I frown. Tristan never comes by alone *are you with the group?* I send and wait only a few seconds for him to reply.

*nope, i'm alone. anyway i'm going to the movies now with my bro, talk to ya tomorrow?*

I reply with a simple 'yeah x' and throw the phone across the sofa. I'm used to Tristan coming and going all the time. He's in a few 'groups' of friends so whenever we make plans, we rarely include him without being sure he's up to it. But lately, he's been very close to us, mostly myself. I'm not sure why but I don't go a day without talking to him, whether it's face to face or by calls or texts. He's one of my best friends and I appreciate every moment he takes of his time to spend with me.

It's almost 8pm so I get up to get the lasagna in the oven and once again, I can't help but jump around a little. I'm really excited to sit down and have a proper conversation with my mother.