Chapter 21

A/N: Holy shit guys, I'm back! And this is the end. I want to thank every single one of you who stayed with me. It was such a rough year for me, but this story is something I have always always wanted to finish. And here we are! If you still want more, I still have plans for a trilogy, so no worries! Again, thank you all for the support and love. It means so much. It's been a few years since I first published this story on Archive of Our Own, and life is crazy sometimes, so we have to adapt to what happens. I really really hope you've enjoyed this story and love this chapter as much as I do. Can't wait to get back in and continue on!

---------

As Dakota raced into the depths of the bunker following Lahey, she noticed that she was steadily going on an incline. Had this been any other time, she would have probably had a hard time going against the hill, but the adrenaline that pumped through her veins shot her forward. She was too focused on reaching the man, and her sights were set on killing him. There was no way she was gonna let Dawson Lahey live, no matter how she made sure of it.

She could hear the sound of the firefight that she left behind fading as her footsteps droned on and echoed in the corridor. She almost felt bad for leaving the guys behind, but they were more than capable of taking care of themselves, and she had to end what she started once and for all.

Dak still didn't know if Jack was following or not, but she wasn't interested enough to turn around and check although she swore she could hear a second pair of footsteps far behind her. All she could allow herself to do was run, and as she did, she started to smell the salty breeze of what seemed like the ocean. Judging by the incline and the direction she was running, there was no doubt an entrance to the outside world was coming up ahead. She pushed herself even further.

When the Dayley woman finally emerged from the recesses of the military facility and burst into the night air, she stopped a moment to take a look around. The air was chilly in the Palletto Bay area, being close to the sea, and there was barely any light radiating from the moon and a few street lamps near a road that was about two football fields' length from where she was standing.

The stars were brighter out in the rural parts of San Andreas, much brighter than anything she ever saw in Los Santos from the pollution of millions of lights flooding the city at all times. She wanted nothing more than to stop and take a minute to stare, for it was what her and her father would have done, but she knew that she had no time.

As her eyes scoured the land that rose and fell with small hills of grass, she noticed that there was a drop off in front of her to the left, and the ocean sat vastly behind it. There was a large area of beach, dirt, and boulders beneath the cliff, and as her sight strained, she could make out the figure of a man sliding down the rocks to the beach. Dakota immediately began running again, and she found her way to the ledge, hopping down the rocks to catch up, which ultimately wasn't her best decision.

Lahey was already waiting for her at the bottom by the time her feet hit sand, and he had his gun out. Dakota stopped in front of him, looking around to see if any of his friends had followed. The ledge was carved out like it was a cove at one point before the water level receded, and the cove lead to beach, then to sea. She couldn't find any boats in the water or any agents close by. They were utterly and completely alone.
"How'd I know that you would be the only one to follow me all the way out here?" Lahey finally asked after a few seconds, a smirk plastered onto his face that Dakota could only see because of the moonlight.

"Maybe because you've been obsessing over me for the past few weeks," she swiftly replied, making sure of the fact that his gun was pointed straight at her face, but she noticed that his finger wasn't near the trigger. He didn't want to shoot her yet.