Chapter Four: What A Wonderful World (INCOMPLETE CHAPTER w/ notes)

(All loose ends are tied, the final battle happens, Todo, Kiri, Baku, Sero, and (Y/n2) escape to Canada, (Y/n1) dies. Nightmare top song, WAWW during the fight)

"We're here." Monoma got out of the car, not saying anything else.

It had been like that for the rest of their drive after (Y/n) had hit him. The silence was uncomfortable, but both seemed to be glad for it. They weren't friends, and this was not the time to change that. The two of them had their own problems to deal with, and after this was all over, they probably would never see each other again.

Monoma couldn't wait for the day. He looked forward to going back to America, though he didn't actually plan to stay, now. America was a popular place to go when escaping, and that was exactly what (Y/n) was going to do. 

He'd heard about a new agency opening in Belgium just before he'd come here from a coworker. It seemed like a good bet, so Monoma planned to pack up and leave almost as soon as he got home. He'd probably have to move anyway, seeing as things might take a turn for the worst for him if anything went wrong here. Leaving seems to be in everyone's best interest these days.

What Monoma had said, though it angered him, had gotten (Y/n) thinking. He really didn't put enough thought into his plans for the future. There was so much that he should have talked about, but didn't. If he got the chance to even just fix things up a little, he'd have to take that opportunity by the horns.

"Right. Let's get this over with," (Y/n) said.

They stepped onto the front yard of the property, and something about it gave (Y/n) this eerily familiar feeling. The grass was in the process of dying now, but the tree closer to the building seemed healthy enough. 

The building itself was small, and it looked to be in pretty good condition. It was the kind of place you'd squat in for a couple of days when the world reached its dystopian stages. 

The old sign by the door made it clear that this was an orphanage, and a small part of (Y/n) couldn't help but wonder... something that he couldn't put his finger on for more than a second. There were no kids here, and there probably weren't any adults either. The place was obviously trashed, even from the outside.  

They stepped inside without a word, taking in the old, stale smell of the place. There was a thick layer of dusk on everything. They could see their footprints behind them when they walked. Everywhere they traveled in the building seemed dead.

Monoma and (Y/n) split up, conquering the few halls in silence. All that was heard was their rustling around, along with multiple sneezes and coughs from both parties. As Monoma continued though, (Y/n) paused. He listened for Monoma to react to the dirt and dust again, and when he did, something sat wrong with him.

Monoma's coughs and sneezes sounded normal at first. When (Y/n) listened to them close, though, he noticed that they had an odd twinge to them. It was like the aftertaste equivalent for sound. It sent chills down (Y/n)'s spine. The after-sound sounded fake. Definitely, truly fake, but maybe even... metallic? What does that even sound like?

He continued looking around for anything that might be useful to him. The person who had given them this location was brief, so the property was all they had to work with. (Y/n) was getting tired of opening cabinets and searching old children's rooms.

Monoma screamed.

(Y/n) was on the other side of the small establishment in less than a minute. When he reached where he was going, the first thing he saw was the hole in the floor. Then he heard a groan from inside it. 

(Y/n) peered down into the hole to see Monoma half-sprawled out and coughing in a pile of dust and rubble from the flooring. He'd fallen through the floor, which had actually revealed part of the building they may have not found otherwise. 

"What are you waiting for, you idiot?" Monoma sneered. "get down here."