5

"Madame Giry?"

The woman stands in her spot, but turns her head slightly to peer at us. Her stoic eyes waver questioningly over Ivan and me. "Another new one?"

Her question confuses me. I glance at Ivan, and he looks like a deer in headlights. He must have had a run-in earlier. Meg steps forward and gestures to the both of us. "Yes, maman. Ivan is looking to be a stagehand, and Alia would like to be a chorus girl."

Madame Giry's eyes rake over my body slowly, head to toe, and back up again. "Just a chorus girl?" Her tone is displeased. "She has a dancer's body. Almost natural posture. Why can she not audition privately for a ballerina's role?"

My eyes widen, and the friendly reminder on my face starts to sting. Along with a sharp pain in my side. "That's not necessary, maman," Meg tries to cover up my shocked silence. "She has a very beautiful voice. Besides, she prefers to sing."

"Is this true?" Giry's eyes hone in on me sharply.

I hold my breath. "Oh, yeah, yeah," I nod quickly, my hands gripping together tightly. "Truth is, I'm not caught up with dancing. I've only focused on singing."

"Hm," Giry lifts her chin and calculates something silently. I hope to God she doesn't ask any outgoing questions. "If that is what you prefer..."

I let out a deep sigh. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Ivan relax as well. He must have been thinking the same thing because I've already told him about my accident years ago. I have been too afraid to dance again, for fear of faltering myself, and not just someone else. It took forever for my gashes to heal, so my balance must surely be lost. Flexibility, not so much, because I try to stretch every morning to get ready for the day. It helps relax my aching, traumatized muscles.

The cool wind sends chills up my arms and legs. I rub my arms to try and warm up. Then, a thought crosses my mind. Madame Giry must think I'm a fool for wearing such unladylike clothing! The first impression I get with her, and it's probably ruined--

"Did you guys hear that?"

Ivan's light voice clears my thoughts instantly. Both Meg and her mom look curiously, scanning the rooftop. What did they hear? I was too busy panicking in my head to hear anything out here. Meg squints her eyes and holds a hand to her lips. Her eyes catch something, and she glances directly at me, her blue eyes glimmering in the darkness.

"I think we should head down then," she takes Ivan's arm, and her mother follows instinctively. "Maman, I would like you to get to know Monsieur Ivan a little better."

Giry actually spares a small smile, and Ivan glances back with bright eyes. What were they planning...? Just as I start to follow, Meg shoots me a knowing look, her eyes darting to the other end of the rooftop. She raises her brows and locks eyes with me again before disappearing with the other two down the stairs. I guess...she wants me to stay up here?

But...it's cold out.

And besides, what do I have to do up here? Maybe the view is good and she wants me to see that.

Strolling to the edge, I glance over the stone wall and instantly regret it. This building is so high up! I get dizzy just looking at the streets below! My chest tightens as I turn away, rubbing my eyes. I have always had a fear of heights, and I forever will, too. "Jesus, Meg," I mumble to myself, shaking my head. Why did she want me to see that?

A sound reaches my ear, and it isn't from the wind this time. Was this the sound they were talking about? I scan the roof, but I really do see nothing. Just...dark shadows and statues. Nothing really too exciting. Moving away from the edge, I head over to one of the statues. The sculpted horse stares down at me with hooves raised in defense. Why horses? Why not famous opera singers from the past or something?