Chapter XLIII: Purple Purpose

(Author's Note: This title is a reference to XiaoShiao's story of the same name)

(Special thanks to Craftfury)

Our heroes found themselves in front of a smaller pyramid.

"There it is. The backdoor to the seventh melody" Michael said.

"And the truth behind my powers" Amethyst added. She shot a purple flame at the gold door, melting a hole through, as she and Peridot stepped through. Michael cooled down the gold so he and Robert could step through.

"Aren't you coming, Ivy?" Robert asked.

"I need to keep watch so the security officers preventing access to the original pyramid do not approach. I need to set up an optical deception device around it, or as you call it an 'Illusion machine'" Ivy said, laying down some sort of device, making what appeared to be a forcefield around it. To outside eyes, this made it look like the pyramid didn't exist at all, just the background.

As they went deeper inside, it got darker. "Ugh, can't someone turn on a light?" Amethyst asked. "Can't you use your flames?" Peridot asked her.

She tried, but there was no light, only an area that would burn if you touched it. "My flames don't light up, but Robert's do, right?" She asked. Robert illuminated the area with him holding up a fireball to act as a torch.

"My question is why didn't you bring Pearl?" Robert asked. "Her gem is like a helmet light."

"This is a secret by Pink Diamond, you think she would let us find out a secret about her Goddess?" Michael said, the last part being in a mocking tone.

"Hey! That's my mother!" Amethyst growled.

"And that means anything? She lied to the only people who trusted her. I still overhear Garnet flipping her lid from the living room when she's in her room. Just because she's your mom doesn't excuse her from scrutiny and criticism." Michael explained.

Amethyst was confused, because when they met, he was afraid of her, and now he has the audacity to speak poorly of Pink Diamond.

Along the seemingly endless hallway were once torches that had been reduced to just the pins that used to hold them.

They eventually got to what they were looking for: A door to the main Pyramid. There were hieroglyphics on the wall, and since nobody could read them, Michael broke out his translator on his arm cannon.

"Only allies of the Light Prognosticus may enter, All others must turn back or be killed" Michael read.

"How do we prove we are?" Peridot asked. Amethyst noticed there were torches still intact on either side of the door, She tried to light them, but Peridot grabbed her hand. "Maybe we should let Robert give it a go" She suggested.

Amethyst rolled her eyes. "Why?" she asked.

"Because...I don't want to see you get hurt...And look." Peridot said, pointing at the small ring around the wick "Those are heat sensors, if you use your flames, which are noticeably hotter than his, a trap might activate."

"Fine" Amethyst said as Robert lit the flames. The door opened on its own like a sliding glass door the instant Robert lit both flames. The room revealed to be a tomb of various pharaohs, servants, and commonfolk.

"I always wondered what a human looks like when they're deceased." Peridot said, approaching one of the caskets.

Michael yanked her back with an arm of applewood. "Peridot, don't disturb the caskets. Have you not heard of the curses this place is riddled with?" He said to her.