Dear Diary 03/05/2012

20:16 PM

Today has been quite crazy. I woke up to my mother accusing me of wearing her underwear—seriously! She was rummaging through my drawers, pulling out my belongings like a crazy person. When I asked her what was going on and what she was looking for, she turned to me with narrowed eyes.

"Why do you children not respect me? What makes you think it's acceptable to wear a grown person's underwear?" she demanded.

Can you imagine if the neighbors heard her? We would sound like some weird family family who swap underwear! Sure, I’ve borrowed my brother’s speedo on those days when nothing feels right and I can’t find any decent underwear, but no one knows about that. I really don’t understand my mother’s accusations. Plus, I caught her wearing my underwear last year! I was furious because she had squeezed herself into them, and it was obvious they were stretched out. When I confronted her about it, she acted all haughty and said:

"You're my child. I will wear your underwear if I have to. You're my daughter."

Okay, and?

Dean couldn't pick me up for school today because he was leaving for Prefect camp and wouldn’t be back until Tuesday. What am I supposed to do with my life in the meantime? I ended up taking the bus like some commoner, but at least people were happy to see me. I sat up front with the bus driver, Gerry. Everyone loves Gerry! He’s fun, lets us punch tickets for passengers, and sometimes we can convince him to stop by KFC for ice cream.

I was telling Gerry about the fifth Harry Potter book I read last week, and I got really emotional because... Sirius Black dies. It hurt because he was the closest thing Harry had to family. It’s just not fair that he had to be taken away. I mean, it is a bit strange that Sirius practically dedicated his entire life to James. Did he even date?

I was feeling anxious about Dean's trip because his ex was going to be there. I know how these camps go—people hook up, even those you never thought had a shred of chemistry. Things happen at camp. Trust me, I would know. And if something did happen... well, Dean would regret the day he was born.

He texted me in the morning to let me know they were leaving. I was trying not to be the psycho, controlling girlfriend, but let’s face it—some girls are ruthless out there. Again, trust me. I know.

On that note, I hadn't spent much time with Scott since I found out he was sleeping with his girlfriend. That pretty much closed the door for me. All the things he said months ago were lies. And that's okay—I had moved on. Sure, I still noticed him when he walked into a room, but I don’t think that kind of thing just disappears. I did, however, hate Cassandra with a burning passion.

Things took a turn for the worse when the whole school was called for an emergency assembly because someone's phone was stolen during first break. I was running with Billie to the hall (since Prefects had to arrive first to help seat everyone), when a Grade 9 kid tapped me on the shoulder and said, "You left your hair on the ground."

Yes, that’s right—my fake ponytail had fallen off while I was running. What must the white people be thinking? I was absolutely mortified. My fellow seniors were laughing, and yeah, I guess it was funny. Maybe one day I’d laugh about it too, but today was not that day. And Dean? He’s never going to hear about this.

After that, we had Math, and surprisingly, it was a lot of fun. Melissa was keeping track of how many times Scott looked at me—a game we used to play pre-Dean. I had no idea why she kept playing it now. At some point, she elbowed me and whispered for me to look behind me because Scott was staring at me.

I turned and found his piercing blue eyes locked onto me. My body reacted instantly—my hands started shaking, and my heart raced so loudly I was sure he could hear it. But he didn’t look away, not even when our eyes met. He just kept staring, his gaze steady, like he was seeing straight through me. I felt exposed, vulnerable, but at the same time, I couldn’t look away either.