Dear Diary 17/07/2012

10:15am

I’m really not okay. Last night, I couldn’t sleep at all because I kept replaying what Scott said in my mind. He actually called me a bully. My Scott. He didn’t even let me explain; he just exploded at me. Wow.

1:02 PM

He just approached me now and asked if he could give me a ride home after school. I turned to look at him, but I wasn’t really seeing him—just the guy who had yelled at me and defended his ex-girlfriend.

“You called me a bully,” I said.

I felt a mix of satisfaction and guilt as I watched his face fall into shame. Then, I immediately felt awful for making him feel that way.

7:47 PM

My dad just took us out for some last-minute shopping for the dance. He offered to cover the cost of our limousine, but only if we agreed to sleep over at his place after the after-party. I can’t speak for my siblings, but I’m planning to get completely wasted—like, white girl wasted—at the after-party. I really don’t want to deal with my dad discovering that his kids are on the path to becoming alcoholics.

As for Scott, I’m uncertain about him. I’m still really upset and conflicted about whether I even want to go to the matric dance with him. We hadn’t even planned on it because last time, we agreed not to go together to avoid hurting Cassandra’s feelings. It’s frustrating how much consideration he shows for her.