step 4- wednesgay

Step Four: Hey, tell him what you want! Try to hint at wanting a boyfriend (subtly, of course), and, if you're already friends with him, then be openly honest about being lonely and just wanting someone to be there for you. Don't be shy! Put some more options on the table!

"Felix wants a boyfriend," Jisung says as he plops his tray of gunk and mush down next to my identical one. It's become regular for us to eat lunch with Changbin and Minho now, and it's only the fourth day since I got the book; it's Wednesday.

"Don't we all?" Minho sighs and picks at his pile of who-knows-what using a wooden fork.

We do? Minho wants a boyfriend? Interesting. He probably just meant that he wants to be in a relationship, but I'll leave Jisung to interpret that how he will.

And, yes, I use a wooden fork. Our school is that kind of school.

"Jisung," I hiss, "what part of 'subtly' didn't register in your brain?"

He shrugs and tilts his chin in the direction of the new kid that I was thinking about befriending not too long ago. "He's probably gay."

I cannot with him.

"Jisung! You can't just go around assuming things like that!" Jisung laughs loudly at my outburst, drawing attention to us from the HJFC. Fantastic.

A girl—her name is Kim Yasoo—walks up and sits in the empty seat next to Minho, across from the empty seat next to Jisung. She has brown eyes, but, thanks to her disgustingly obvious contact lenses, they've been transformed into a muddy shade of blue. Her hair used to be brown as well, but now it's blonde. The roots are growing back. Her lipstick is hot pink, probably the same color as her nonexistent brain cells.

"Hey Jisung," she giggles. I want to gag. Yasoo places her grossly painted hand on Minho's shoulder and looks at Jisung to see his reaction. He's already bored, and turns to talk to me.

Yasoo looks mad and tickles Minho under his chin, and now he's fed up. Also, Jisung gets jealous, but not in the way that the Barbie is hoping. He's jealous because someone is touching Minho, and I think Minho and Jisung have been hanging out behind my back.

The betrayal.

The hurt.

The fact that I know the password to his Minecraft account.

Jisung gets up. "I need to use the restroom."

Those six words seem to mean a lot to him, and Minho's eyes widen just a bit. I suppose there's some kind of backstory here, one that'll make sense when the time comes. A story for another time, if I can be permitted to say that. A story for another time.

Changbin looks at me, confused. I blush and hide my face by turning around to look at Jisung's retreating figure.

"Yasoo, would you mind leaving? I want to ask Minho something." This comes from Changbin, and it surprises everyone. First of all, Changbin is relatively popular. Second of all, Minho is relatively popular. And third of all, they're both supposed to be straight, to a certain extent, and straight boys like when "pretty" girls flirt with them.

So I'm confuzzled.

Why would Changbin get rid of a supposedly attractive girl?

I say 'supposedly,' because how am I supposed to know? I don't have any female friends and my mom is Taeil-knows-where; with Yasoo as my only point of reference, I think it's alright for me to have a thing against girls.

Also, I'm gay, so—

And that's not to say that all girls are repulsive. There are so many wonderful women out there, people who I have yet to meet. So far, I can name... one? Mrs. Han, Jisung's mother.

Yasoo "hmph"s and stands up, and then, right when she's about to leave, she turns back around.

"Call me later, Minnie," She smirks.

What a loyal member of the HJFC. And I'm just here, being a potato: unpopular, unattractive, and uninterested in girls... somehow friends with Han Jisung (who is hot), Lee Minho (who is hot), and Seo Changbin (who is hot, cute, and the boy I think I'm in love with, who is also straight).

Life's spectacular.

>>><><<<

"She gave you a what?" I see the new kid yelling something at his friend. I decide that now is the best time to approach him and try to become friends.

Once I'm close enough to get a good look at their faces, I stop dead in my tracks.

Hot. They're both hot.

I have a habit of wanting to be friends with hot boys.

His friend is in my Chemistry class; he's Hwang Hyunjin. I recognize him from the yearbook. The other kid, the new one, I don't recognize on sight, obviously. But his face is familiar. S... something. He's definitely the one from that Google Doc.

"Hi?" I find myself in front of them. Curse these betraying feet; I hope they are forced to run up and down the Highway to Heaven for all eternity.

"Hi... ooh! Are you Lee Felix? The one who did orange justice on a table the other day?" Great, that's the first impression I've made on the new kid.

"Yeah," I sigh. "That's me. I. Same difference."

His eyes brighten and crinkle when he smiles. "Cool! I'm Seungmin. I moved here over the weekend, and I already knew Hyunjin from sleepaway camp. I've been doing, like, an online, tutoring version of this school, so you might recognize my name."

Hyunjin nods. "Seungmin's pretty cool."

"Together or separately?" Seungmin asks.

Oldest trick in the book. I have to applaud Seungmin for that one.

"What?"

"Am I pretty cool or pretty and cool?"

They continue their conversation as I take a small step back.

"I'll just... I'll be going... yeah... okay... bye..." Neither notices as I leave. Oh well, so much for making new friends. I'm just a socially awkward, freaky boy who happens to be gay and friends with hot people.

But that's okay.

That's okay.