002 collateral damage

🝆 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎 🝆
𝐂𝐎𝐋𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐀𝐋 𝐃𝐀𝐌𝐀𝐆𝐄

Shoto stared at the screen of his phone, a single phrase glaring at him from the glass

     Read at 5:56 a.m.

He blinked slowly, eyes darting to the time at the top of his phone: 6:23 a.m.

She wasn't going to answer. Shoto wasn't sure if he cared.

His feelings toward his sister were an awful lot like his quirk—half and half, split right down the middle. Part of him longed for him and his sister to reconcile, to act as siblings should, rather than ignoring each other's existence. He knew she resented him for some reason, and this half of him felt hurt by that.

The other half looked at Naoko and saw their father. As hypocritical as it was, he saw her longing for Endeavor's approval and figured she had the capacity to be just like him. He'd see her red locks pool around the scarves she liked to wear, her blue eyes lower whenever someone entered a room, her face twist into a glare when she saw him, and there was a faint whisper in his mind of his mother's hateful voice seething the word, "Unsightly."

The boy flinched when he thought of her, an image meant to be beautiful distorted beyond recognition by memories of their parents.

Shoto locked his screen, staring at his reflection for a few seconds after it shut off. The whisper returned and he could practically feel the burning of his scar.

🝆 🜂 🝆

By the time the announcements for the exam started,  Naoko had walked around the school campus multiple times. After listening intently to the instructions given by Present Mic, interrupted only by a glasses-clad boy and his questions, Naoko made her way to her designated arena.

Naoko watched as the boy with the glasses from earlier walked in a different direction than her, followed by the boy he inadvertently humiliated during his inquiry. Approaching Arena F, the two contestants that stood out most to her were a boy with the head of a bird and a girl that resembled a frog.

As Naoko lined herself up alongside other test takers, she fixed her scarf and stared into the mock city, a hard look on her normally soft face.

The red haired girl had left her jacket in the locker she was provided for the day, along with her other belongings. To say she missed its warmth already was an understatement. She felt empty without it, freezing.

Naoko took in a deep breath, exhaling softly right as Present Mic could be heard over the loudspeaker, "Start! You don't get countdowns in a real battle!"

Immediately, the young girl sprinted into the mock city, ahead of the other contestants. She glanced around quickly, her eyes taking in the buildings and layout of the city, wondering what vantage points she could find and how she could best use the landscape to her advantage.