Chapter 7

The worry enveloped him in a soundless trance, his body frozen under the fluffy black covers as he stared at the ceiling with this look. It suggested something wasn't quite right yet wasn't quite wrong. The room was dark and the posters were unrecognisable despite being lit by the moon outside.
Zak sighed as he lay in his bed, uncomfortable and annoyed. Why did this always happen? Whenever he'd have a bad conversation with someone or an argument with one of his friends, he would find it impossible to sleep and it irritated him to no end as panic set in and he shivered further despite being under warm, comfortable blankets. He ran a hand through his soft black hair in an attempt to calm down, sighing to himself as he remembered the day's previous events. He missed Dave. Not that it mattered though, he just had to brave it and suck it up, surely Dave couldn't miss him. He sat up in his bed, knowing he wouldn't be able to sleep. He turned to the balcony before getting out of bed and grabbing his phone whilst on his way to the white door. His eyes growing blurry with tears and lack of sleep, why did this have to happen every night? Why? Why? Why?

Zak sat down on the balcony floor, looking up at the sky, noticing the clouds through the darkness and abyss of black. He sighed, leaning back against the wall, before unlocking his phone and opening the 'Discord' app, noticing that Techno was in fact, online. He sighed in relief before contemplating whether to call the older baseball captain or not, ultimately deciding it would probably be best to sort the whole drama now rather than later. He held his breath as his finger collided with the call button and the echoing rings entered his ears and further into the starless night. He released the breath when he heard the other join the call.

"Hello, Skeppy?" Dave sounded almost concerned for the other, which Zak deemed as a good sign, "Is everything okay? Are you okay? Did you need something?"

Zak let out a shaky sigh, his fingers shivering from the slight anxiousness in his chest. His voice was quiet and shy, he really needed to hear the voice of the other all this time, Zak was a clingy friend and he wasn't proud of it, "Dave... I'm sorry."

He could hear the other shuffling around, Zak was curious. He heard the other let out a cuss before the voice got louder and clearer, "Why are you sorry? I was the one being a total dick."

Zak thought for a second before smiling at the others insults to himself, "Yeah, you were."

Zak giggled as Dave complained and soon the two were having a somewhat pleasant disagreement about how Zak wasn't supposed to agree with him and was in fact, supposed to comfort the older, which made Zak laugh harder. Throughout the night many words and laughs were exchanged, as well as a few tears of joy and a few sleepy yawns. Soon the time hit 2:17 am and Dave insisted that the younger go to sleep. Zak almost refused but instead requested one answer before he went to his bed, which Dave complied to.

"Why did you push me today?"

Time froze as Dave became breathless as he was forced to remember the small violent outburst he had endured. He let out a sigh, not really wanting to answer but began to answer anyways, knowing that the other definitely deserved some kind of proper apology and explanation.

"Well, you see Zak... I'm not in the best place at the moment, my Dad's on trial in court for something he didn't do and I full-heartedly believe him, in fact, I know my Dad didn't do it but that's beside the point. I know it's not a proper excuse or even a valid one for that matter but I'm struggling to stay strong, Zak," Dave spoke heavily, not really showing any emotion other than annoyance as though it was just a pain in his neck as he continued on, "My girlfriend broke up with me yesterday, I caught her cheating on me. I guess my hangover just flung me over the edge as well, I'm so sorry. Can I make it up to you somehow though? I really need a good influence like you. Especially now."

Silence ensued, every second feeling like a minute to Dave as Zak processed what the other said, not fully taking into account the events that happened. Dave listened to the silence before hearing a soft sob, "Zak?"

The other was crying, he felt ten times worse now! Not only was Dave struggling but now Zak was the villain and if anything, Zak hated being the bad guy, "No, it's- it's okay Dave... Don't apologise, everyone has rough spots in life. I'm sure everything will get better with your Dad. Hey, we can even hang out at that one park tomorrow... Only if you want too?"

Dave sniffled, genuinely touched by the youngers words, "I'd love to."

'Thank you, Zak...For taking the blame'