Chapter 22

The ride to the restaurant was calming and nice, despite the loud music that Zak insisted on playing. Darryl didn't mind the loud music, he was just happy that the younger was happy. As they arrived at the restaurant, the music came to a slow stop and Darryl parked the car carefully. Once the car was parked, Darryl and quickly got out the car and held hands as they walked towards the restaurant. As soon as they stepped inside, they were greeted by an embrace of warmth and were greeted kindly by a staff who happily led them to their table for two.

"Darryl," Zak began, his eyes wondering around stall the lights and colour around him. "This is... Thank you."

Darryl thought for a second, his heart filling with warmth and love as he made his final decision.

"No, Zak, thank you. You came into my life in such an unexpected way that I was having doubts about you at first. I thought you were a high school bully but it turns out... it was opposite. You opened my eyes to the outside world. Never in my life have I had as much fun as I've had in the past few weeks... I never want it to end," Darryl cleared his throat, looking up to see the other hiding his mouth and blushing wildly, "Zak, will you be my boyfriend?"

Zak's heart sped up as the question was released from Darryl's lips. Zak smiled shyly from behind his arm as he spoke, "Yes! I'd love that... I- I love you."

Darryl smiled, cupping Zaks face and bringing it closer to him gently. Then, like magic, the two lips collided and they were kissing. Not forcefully or lustfully but as a sense of love and adoration for each other. Darryl was first to lean back, taking into appreciation Zaks face. Zaks hazel eyes half lidded as he opened them, his lips still puckered into a kiss formation. His cheeks, despite still covered by Darryl's larger hands, radiated warmth and were slightly red. Darryl smiled softly kissing the other again before letting go.

"Are you two ready to order?" The staff from before asked politely, knowing full-well that she had interrupted their time but she needed todo her job.

"Oh sorry, just give us five minutes, please?"

She nodded and walked off, Zak's face was indecipherable before he burst out giggling.

"I-What?" Darryl questioned as he pulled out a menu for himself and one for his boyfriend.

"Was she just like stood watching us kiss?" Zak said between breaths as he giggled harder.

"I- Oh my goodness, Zak. What do you want to eat?"

Zak looked at the menu, examining every item carefully before deciding on the spaghetti bolognese and Darryl decided on the Mac and Cheese. The waitress came back and took their order kindly before leaving without another word.

"You know, Zak. I'm so happy you didn't go to practice."

"Me too, otherwise I would've missed this."

Darryl smiled softly planting another kiss but this time on Zak's nose, which scrunched up in surprise. The older chuckled whilst Zak was confused.

"What even- why are you laughing?"

This made Darryl laugh harder.

"Stop laughing at me!" Zak huffed, hiding his face in his hands.

"Aw, no, no. I'm not laughing at you, I'm just laughing at how adorable you are."

"Adorable? I- Shut up." Zak mumbled softly, getting flustered quickly, would he ever get used to this?

"Anyways, can I talk to you about Dream for a second? I know he's a sour subject at the moment and I don't want to ruin tonight but-"

"No, no. Go ahead, it's fine."

Darryl sighed as he spoke softly  in a slightly hushed tone, "Do you think you could try and get along with him? He's really upset that you couldn't come, he thinks you don't like him and even if it's true it's no reason to be mean to him."

Zak thought for a second, his whole body frozen as he figure out what to say and do, "I- I do like him, it's just... He- I- Are you sure he won't replace me?"

"You're my boyfriend, noone can replace you!"

"Then I guess I wouldn't mind hanging out with him tomorrow if he's free."

Darryl cheered at the result, happy that his new friend and his boyfriend would get along. After ten minutes of endless babbling from Zak and endless countering from Darryl, the food arrived. She placed the food down in front of them before asking them to enjoy their meals. Zak grinned as he rolled the spaghetti onto his fork and shoving it all in his mouth, getting some of the sauce all over his cheeks. He continued this practice until all his food was gone. Meanwhile Darryl ate just as quickly, but ate it in smaller groups and didn't chew as loud as the younger. Darryl laughed at Zak, his face stained orange with bolognese.

"Do you want a tissue?"

"No, I'm saving it for leftovers," Zak said as seriously as he could manage before laughing out loud. "Yes I would like a tissue."

Darryl chuckled lightly at the boy's antics, grabbing a tissue of another table and wiping his face clean. "There."

Zak smiled back at Darryl before kissing him once more, "Thank you, Darry."

'Thank you so much.'