Chapter 8

*Mr. Washington's POV*

I came back from taking Ethan to Alexander's office to see the two men who had despised each other laughing, not at one another but together. It was nice, but as soon as the door closed behind me they quieted down. They looked at me for a second, then at each other, than at the ground. I could tell they were uncomfortable, but I had to see past that right now.

"Now, I know I've already talked to both of you separately, but I feel like it is necessary for all three of us to talk together. This will not be something stupid and spiritual like at an elementary school, we are all adults who handle our business seriously. Alexander, tell your side of the story. Thomas, you are to be quiet and not interrupt."

"Um...well I mean we've already had this talk, so can't we just drop it?" Alex asked desperately, looking almost panicked. I knew it pained him to talk about this, but I also knew that he was strong.

"No, Alex."

"Okay...So I heard that Aaron, James and Thomas were planning to hang out at the office after hours, and I wasn't in the mood to talk to them. The meeting had been frustrating, and I wanted to get home to work on some stuff. Then Thomas walked in, but I didn't know it was him."

"What do you mean?" I asked. I don't remember this part...

"Thomas had his hair up like Lafayette, the one you met last night, and...well, remember that time he went to France? He learned some French and could do the accent pretty well. S-so I thought it was Lafayette, so when he kissed me...I kissed back. Then he undid everything and insulted me." I knew the full story, I wasn't going to press for details I already knew. Alex was pretty dry-eyed, but Thomas was a different story. I take it he hadn't fully understood what he did until this morning. He looked down with a face of regret, tears welling in his eyes.

"Thomas. You tell your side," I said sternly. I felt a pang of guilt, but I had to get past that.

"It's like what he said." Thomas mumbled.

"In your words, Mr. Jefferson."

"Okay...during the meeting I don't know why but I decided to call him a f*g even though I'm bisexual and I started kicking him...then after the meeting I went in his office purposely trying to seem like his friend Lafayette. I started kissing him, and he kissed back not knowing it was me. I made myself look and sound normal again, called him a s-slut, then left him there," Thomas finished quietly, his voice cracking and tears rolling down his face.

"Hey, Thomas, it's okay, I'm...okay," Alex said, trying to comfort Thomas. I heard the hesitation in his voice though, and I know Thomas did as well, because he pulled himself away from Alex.

"No, I know what I did! Don't lie to me! I can see the trembling in your hands, I hear how hesitant your voice is. I knew you wouldn't be able to automatically trust me, and that's okay. But to lie to me about it? Don't pretend everything's okay, because I know it isn't. D-don't lie to me," Thomas's body racked with silent sobs, though you could hear the desperation in his voice. Alex looked at me for help, but I didn't know what to tell him.

"Thomas, look at me. Look at me," Alex held both of his shoulders, shaking Thomas ever so slightly. Said man looked up at him, his eyes red and puffy.

"Thomas, I forgive you. I may never understand the reasoning behind your actions, but I am willing to move on," Alex said, the strain in his voice gone. Alex hugged Thomas, and they stayed like that for a few minutes. I mouthed an apology, leaving the room once again to let Thomas and Alexander have a moment to themselves.