Chapter 16

*nobody's POV*

James walked Ethan to his car, set him in the backseat and got in. He made sure to child-lock the doors, ensuring that Ethan wouldn't get out.

"Hey James? Where are we heading?" Ethan inquired from the back.

"It's a surprise!" James exclaimed, faking a smile. Ethan continued to ask questions, and James answered them all...partially truthful.

Few hours later, they finally arrive. James stepped out of the car, approaching the front porch. James had thought Ethan was behind him, but when I turned to grab his hand he was still in his seat, asleep. I got him and continued walking to the door, knocking.

"Hey James, took you long enough. Who's that?" the woman who answered the door asked, eyeing the kid sleeping in James's arms.

"You remember Alex? This is apparently his kid or whatever," James said, smiling somewhat darkly.

"Huh, him and Eliza worked out after everything?"

"Nah, he's with that French dude named Lafayette or whatever," James sighed, taking Ethan and dropping him on the couch.

"Careful, you idiot! The last thing we need is him waking up."

"Relax, he's a heavy sleeper," James reassured as he glanced at Ethan. Ethan shifted slightly, otherwise remaining asleep. James went into the kitchen and just rummaged, not knowing what else to do. The owner of the house had gone upstairs, and James realized he hadn't actually been to the house often enough to know where stuff is.

He paused to consider making toast when he heard Ethan's voice.

"James? Where are we?" Ethan asked, approaching him. Immediately James heard the woman walk down the stairs, and stiffened.

"Don't worry about it kid, just go back to sleep."

James knew who had said that, and turned around slowly. He then saw the woman hit Ethan in the head with a bat, knocking him out cold.

"What in the world!? Why would you do that!?" James yelled, getting to the kid. "I only wanted revenge, not to become a murderer!"

The woman chuckled at his statement, walking away. James realized Ethan was still alive and was about to run away with him when he felt a sharp pain in his neck, then he blacked out.