Chapter Five

3 weeks later...

Emily's POV

Ali and I have been dating for three weeks now. They've been the best weeks of my life. I love her more than anything and I think I might finally be ready to tell her everything about my past. I just don't know how she's going to react though. The stuff that I've been through isn't very easy to take in.

Ali wasn't at school today because her father wanted her to help him with something around the house. I think it's a little weird that he would need her help with something. Why couldn't he just do it himself?

At the end of the day, I was walking to my car when I was stopped by someone I hoped I would never have to see again. As soon as I saw his face, my heart rate sped up, and not in a good way. I was about to yell for help when he grabbed my wrist and brought me closer to his body. I tried to get out of his grip, but he was too strong. He used his other arm to wrap around my waist, and I used my free hand to try to push him off, but it was no use. Tears streamed down my face as he tried to kiss me.

His lips were about to touch mine when I felt him suddenly let go of me. I looked at where he moved and saw that Caleb was on top of him on the ground.

"Don't come near her ever again! You're lucky if I don't call the police on you now Luke!" Caleb yelled at him. Hanna came over to me and hugged me as I cried. People had started to come over to try to figure out what was happening. Caleb started to punch him, and Luke was starting to lose consciousness.

"Caleb stop! You're going to kill him!" I yelled at him, but he just continued. Noel came through the crowd and grabbed Caleb off of him. He had to hold Caleb back from going at him again.

"Are you ok?" Noel asked me with nothing but concern in his eyes once he noticed the tears running down my face.

"I'll be fine." I answered. I never really thought of Noel as a nice guy, considering that all he tried to do was hook up with the girls at our school.

Once Caleb had started to calm down, Noel let go of him and came over to me. "If you need anything, here's my phone number. Don't be afraid to ask me for help." he said before he gave me a hug.

"Thank you, Noel. I might just have to take you up on that offer." I said after I gave him a small smile.

"I called Ali when I saw what was happening." Spencer said as she approached me from the other side of the group that was still crowded around us.

"Em, who was that guy?" Aria asked me hesitantly.

"Just someone from my past that I would have rather forgotten about." I answered with my head down. Caleb led me over to the parking lot and sat down to the side of me. I leaned my head on his shoulder while we waited for Ali to show up.

Not even a minute later, Ali came into the parking lot and ran over to us. "Are you ok? You better not lie to me." she blurted out as soon as she came close enough.

"I'm better now than I was a few minutes ago. Not really sure how I'm going to feel later." I said. She grabbed both of my hands and dragged me until I was standing up. She brought me into a tight hug and I wrapped my arms around her tiny frame. She wouldn't let go for almost two minutes, and as soon as she let go, her gaze fell to my wrist that he held onto.

She gently lifted it, and I noticed that the skin around my wrist was turning a dark shade of purple. A tear fell from her eye and I quickly wiped it away. "I'm fine. Really." I reassured her. She grabbed my other hand and led me to her car. When we got there, I realized that Jade and Jack were sitting in the backseat. As soon as they saw me, they both got out of the car and hugged me even tighter than Ali did.

Jade looked up at me and quietly asked me, "Was it Luke?" I silently nodded at her and she tightened her grip. Jack doesn't know everything about what happened, but he knows enough to be worried. We all got back into the car and drove to what we now call home.

Alison's POV

When we got inside, Em and I helped Jade and Jack with their homework. I insisted that she put ice on her wrist. She refused at first, but eventually gave in. I made dinner for us while Em did her homework and Jade and Jack watched cartoons. Everyone was eerily silent all throughout dinner. Emily would barely even meet my eyes.

When we were getting ready for bed, I led Emily over to my window seat and sat down with her. "You don't have to tell me now, but I really want you to tell me what that was about so I can help you. I love you so much and I can't watch you suffer through this alone." I placed my hand on her cheek and she leaned into my touch.

"I want to tell you, I really do. It's just really hard for me to talk about. The only other people who know about it are Caleb, Jade, and Jack knows a few things about it. The only reason Caleb knows is because it happened when we were in the same foster home." she said.

I got closer to her and she laid her head on my shoulder. I wrapped my arms around her and kissed her forehead. Her breathing slowed down and I saw that she had fallen asleep in my arms. Now that I knew she wouldn't be able to see me, I let the tears fall. I couldn't believe that in all the time I knew her, she had been struggling with these things and I couldn't see it.

The real reason I had stayed home today was because I was planning for our first real date. If I had been there, this probably would have never happened. Who was this person that caused the girl that I love so much pain? I managed to get her over to the bed once I had stopped crying. She moved around for a second and I thought she woke up, but then she curled up to me. This girl could sleep through anything.

I fell asleep with the girl I love in my arms and I smile on my face knowing that she's my girlfriend.

I was woken up a few hours later to Emily moving around in her sleep. She had a frown on her face and a thin layer of sweat on her forehead. I gently placed my hand on the side of her face and held her closer to my body. I whispered sweet nothings in her ear until she calmed down. Whatever this Luke kid did to her must have been bad if she's having nightmares about it. I just hope that she doesn't try to freeze me out, because there is no way I'm letting her go through this alone.