Flourish

Jennie stared into her ceiling, unable to keep her mind still for slumber; her mind kept on rewinding itself on the exact moment that Lisa brushed her lips against hers. Each time her mind recalled this, the feeling she felt that exact moment kept on running in her body.

            Rolling to the side, Jennie tried to suppress her anxiety; she felt her heartbeat rise with each passing second that her mind recalled that event. She did not understand why she felt such a fleeting emotion; it coursed through her body like a current of electricity that never ended.

            Why am I in such bliss of something so wrong?

            Jennie thought as she let out a soft sigh; her brain sizzled inside as she tried to process everything. How could that even happen? One moment they were admiring the magnificent view of the city, then the next they had their lips against each other. Jennie cupped her face as she tried her hardest not to replay the memory.

            In the dark of her room, she stood up and walked over her table, then flicked her table lamp on; Jennie had to forget that memory and the only way she knew how was to jam her brain with schoolwork. Taking a book from her bag, Jennie began doing her homework and whisked the night away with endless movement of her wrist.

            Hours had gone by and dawn was before her. Jennie laid her head on her table next to the stack of books on her table; her eyes felt tired and her brain fried from all the information she took in at one night. It was not that she did not understand it all; it was the fatigue of forcing herself to learn it all.

            Slowly, her eyelids slid down as her body finally calmed down – enough for her to fall into slumber. But before she fell deep into her sleep, her alarm clock rang loud and made her jump out of her seat. She looked around the room with a hazy vision as she stumbled towards the alarm and turned it off by pressing the button repeatedly in a frenzy.

            Of all the days, Jennie grumbled mentally; frustration had gotten the best of her as she recalled that she had to do a full clean of the Academy today. Mr. Kwon also said that they had to do some maintenance on the garden. They had a busy day today and Jennie had to get ready for it in under an hour, be ready by half past eight in the morning.

            "Curse you Lisa for depriving me of sleep," Jennie mumbled as she made her way into the bathroom and showered. After half an hour, she was dressed in her usual black jeans and plain blue shirt with her favourite semi-dirty chucks.

            She got down to the cafeteria and had her breakfast platter; she ate blankly as she kept her eyes at the clouds. And before she knew it, Kai placed his own tray of breakfast in front of her. He smiled at her, but Jennie did not feel like doing so; she was way too tired to even greet him.

            "You look beat," Kai spoke as he examined Jennie carefully. "Did you even sleep?"

            Jennie met his grey eyes and shook her head, "Couldn't sleep."

            Kai tilted his head in worry, "Will you be okay with work?"

            Jennie just nodded and stood up without another word, then returned her tray to the disposal station. She stretched her arms as she waved bye to Kai, who had a frown on his face as he watched her exit the cafeteria. This was the first time he ever saw Jennie look so tired and he wanted to help her, but he did not know how to.

            Jennie walked to the Academy in her usual route, but she felt it a little too impossible for her to keep a straight vision. Her eyes felt heavy as she slapped herself awake before she crossed the road. She tried to be aware of her surroundings and where her feet took her, but it got harder by the second.