Chapter 7

AESOP
Matches are always tiring, especially for someone like me.

For someone who lived through every day of his life like a dead man, nothing gets more irritating than having to wake up first thing in the morning and having your name being displayed in the big ass monitor as one of the players of this brutal match.

First of all, each and every of us gets to play at least one match per day, not to mention all the aftermaths we get to endure.

I still had it pretty clear in my head the moment I was asked to play in a match for the first time.

The feel of having the hunters' weapons carving scars on your skin, letting the crimson coppery substance pour out as if it is the end of the line, making any necessary healing impossible.

I am aware all the hunters out there are not allowed of doing on-the-spot killing even with their bloodlust eyes, but they absolutely have no idea that the easy win is actually on their side.

Hunters have no idea what it feels like to be sat on one of the rocket chairs.

It is pure hell, especially if you have bleeding cuts.

I can hardly believe everyone actually survived, despite all the circumstances.

That was the exact same thing I had in my mind before the match I just finished a few minutes ago.

It was different. Something different.

So when I made my way back to the main lobby unharmed, the first thing that greeted me was William and the rest's expressions.

They look like they just witnessed a baby being born before their eyes.

I had figured out that was going to happen in the first place, but again I wasn't in the mood for any talks - well I never am, I hate being social- and I was so worked up from all the running I had during the match.

All the running was for nothing, but it was worth it.

Him. That smile.

Locking myself in my room, I lied down on my bed and recalled everything.

"Aesop, Helena, Emily, let's all do our respective roles as best as we can for the sake of winning. Remember, keep an eye on the hunter!"

Martha, as usual, acts as the lead of the match. Guess that's what you get for someone that is military-trained.

I headed out, my eyes looking for a cipher. I surely hope none of the ladies are following me.

I looked into my back and guess what, Helena is tailing me, the distinctive tap coming from her cane.

"Just let me do it on my own. I'm good." I said, but she does not budge.

"Em told me to keep an eye on you. You had only recovered a few hours ago. And besides, I am a fast decoder. That will make your work easier!"

Sometimes her skills make me wonder whether she is actually blind or not.

I was in the middle of decoding when a ray of light flashed from my right side, revealing the hunter.

He swung his sword at Helena, terror-shocking her as impact.

Wait. I have never seen him before.
Who is he?

I moved my position, trying to at least get a glimpse of his appearance, and that was when my eyes met with that of his stare.