X

JACK
"You told me he's fine and no other issues were found in his system! How could you be saying that now!"

"Mr. Jack, we did the best that we could. But you do have to know that the bullet blow had damaged some of the vital parts in his brain. I am really sorry to say this, but-"

Everything then went blurry yet so clear at the same time.

"There's a 95% chance that Mr. Subedar will lose all his memories."

I..... I failed.

.
"Aesop Carl. Helena Adams. Emily Dyer. Martha Behamfil. Wow, Jack. You're doing all the match draftings now? You've got huge dedication there, bud."

I let out nothing but a slight laugh as the Feaster approached the desk I am currently sitting on, placing some files on top of it with his tentacle hands.

I rolled my eyes as I noticed the amount of papers and records the Feaster had put, knowing the fact that I have to work on them for the sake of keeping the matches going.

I'm so in for a major backache once nighttime comes.

"Hastur, can you tell me what are those files again?" I asked, pinching the bridges of my nose as an attempt to dispel the headache forming in the back of my skull.

"Oh! It's a collection of the Photographer's backstory before he found himself here. I'm gonna be real honest here, getting all the details from him is not that much of a hassle compared to the other hunters here! Though I gotta say I feel bad for him. You should take a look into this! Let's just leave the match draft pick for later, Ripper-Bro. We still got a lot of time. This whole day, to be honest."

I nodded. This might be the perfect time to put Joseph into action. Who knows.

"He did say he is good with cameras though to be honest I don't really see where the crucial part is. I've looked into those records thousands of times but none of those are depicting something to me. I don't know about you tho, Jack."

"Overtentacled, isn't it?" I joked, earning an unamused glare from the Feaster.
"Gimme that. I'll look into it."

Joseph Desaulniers. The man with what had once been a decent life alongside his family and a twin brother with the name Claude. However, despite all the wealthiness and possessions, compassion was never by his side to begin with.

I was now frowning beneath the mask, my mind trying to register every word being written.

The Photographer has never known what it is like to be appreciated. Despite his huge interest on both music and the art of photography, his abusive father never gave him any support. At the same time, Claude received all the nurturings and care the two boys should have.

"Favoritism?" I muttered to myself as I recalled the look on the Photographer's face the moment he saw me for the first time.
"No wonder I could see the amount of fear his face portrayed...."

Favoritism was what Joseph's father had lived on, until this particular day that happened to turn all the tables in the room happened. Claude fell sick and was eventually confined on bedrest. Joseph had to bear with abusings everyday in his life, for his father blames everything on him.

As I read further into Joseph's backstory, I can't help but realize what Hastur had said earlier.

It was when I finally came into this one part from the records that made shivers run down my spine.

Claude succumbed to his sickness, demolishing every bits of toughness Joseph had built. Having to deal with the loss of his treasured one had pushed him through his limits. Utilizing the photography knowledge he had been given, Joseph started implying everything he could to his camera, thus making him able to capture real lives as he replicates them. The physical charm Joseph has makes it a perfect trap.

A brief yet baffled gasp made its way to my lips as I closed Joseph's files and placed it on my desk. At the same time I really feel like giving Hastur a noogie for his 'intellectuality'.

Isn't this more than enough for you to know that Joseph is addicted to.... parapsychology?

I decided to keep all the rages to myself as the Feaster is now staring at the window leading to the garden, in which the corresponding place is full of everyone from the other side of the manor.

"Um, Hastur..... lemme break everything to you...." I said as the latter turned around to face my direction.

"Joseph is a very scary hunter."

                              ***
"What?! Just what the heck?!"

Exactly as how I had expected Hastur's reaction would be, the Feaster had gathered his whole perplexity that is truly palpable from the set of eyes protruding from his cloak.

"His cameras aren't just cameras! Holy shit, dude! You need to put him into this draft you've been working on! I should really see what all this is about!"

I said nothing as he kept blabbing.

"If you put Joseph as the hunter of all those 4 survivors, he definitely is gonna show the four who is boss! There will no longer be the need for us hunters to train as hard! Oh man, this is going to be lit as heck!"

By now Hastur was talking so loud that I had to drag him off the matching lobby.

"How many more times must I tell you to not. Talk. So. Damn. Loud.?" I said to him in a whisper, my claw hands touching the edges of his cloak.
"For the record, I am here with the perfect awareness of tomorrow's hunter pick. Okay? Got it? It will be all finalized! I'm gonna announce all this to Emily once I sort everything out and there is no changing my mind."

Hastur is not saying anything as I had my grip off him. It must be either my claws threatening him or the adrenaline rush in him rendering his system unable to form words or any other reactions.

"Now kindly leave as I still have stuff to do."

The moment the Feaster left, I immediately reached for my match diary and my trustworthy pen.

I knew exactly what I should do, and I'm making it happen.