Chapter 33

AESOP
"Hey, how are you?"

"Aesop, hey! How many fingers am I holding up?"

I sunk my head deeper into the pillow, trying my best to ignore every of the words popping out of William and the rest of the mates. Guess me being bodily unconscious for quite sometime has really been a big thing to deal with for them.

I fought back the urge of asking the Forward how long have I been out, knowing the fact that he will question me without any signs of stopping, hence forcing me to be way social than I can ever bear.

I took a short glance on my chest. There were still white gauze everywhere, with some traces of blood poking through. And amidst all that, now that I just realized it, Emily barely puts anything aside from the blankets to cover it up.

"I'm just glad you made it! And I even thought you're not gonna wake up for good!" The Forward said, adding more to my dismay list.

Dude, get the fuck outta here.

I was starting to lose my edge when the look on William's face gets all serious.

Moving to the stool next to my bed, he placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Naib's getting all crazy now, man."

My right eye twitched at the mention of Naib's name.

The fight. The quarrel with Jack he had committed right here just a day ago.

I kept my attention towards the ceiling as if it was glued there.

No one might know it, but I had heard literally every single thing between the Mercenary and that of the Ripper.

Could it be....
Naib had actually managed to remember everything?

William was still trying his best to make me come out with words or at least a response towards him when I noticed Emily coming in, her hands holding several things.

Finally. A lifesaver.

"Hey there, Aesop. First of all, I know that nearly everyone here had said this to you, but I am so glad you finally woke up!" She said as she moved towards my direction.
"Anyway, how are you? Any discomfort? Those two weeks of you being out of consciousness had became my main source of concern. Now let me see how your chest is doing."

I didn't answer. To be honest, I still feel like crap right now, especially with this headache that is pounding inside my skull at the moment, but I have made up my mind that it is just best to sit this headpain out for the moment.

I watched as Emily removed the layers of gauze attached to my chest. And yes, it was such a terrifying thing to see.

Jack's claws from that incident had tore through the skin, and not to mention the fact that the part where he had hurt me is pretty close to where my lungs are.

I keep on getting talks about how lucky I am that no lung damage is there, but none of them made my day. I still feel like I had been ran over by a bus full of hunters. If only it wasn't for the painkillers and the oxygen mask Emily had given me, I would have been dead by now.

"You're a trooper, man." William said from Emily's back, flinching every single time Emily's gloved hands came into contact with my chest.

I forced a small smile, only to end up having more of a headache.

It was the moment when I noticed Joseph standing outside the door, his back the one facing into my direction as he stared at the sunset.

Joseph.
He was here the whole time. I knew it. Even from the start.

I must have blushed now that Emily had her palm on my forehead.
"Your face is all red. Are you feverish or something?"

No words came out of me, but Emily had somehow caught the words hiding behind my eyes now that she had put my pillow into a sleeping position.

"Your body is warm to the touch. Please get some rest. It will also speed your chest's recovery. I readressed it and changed the gauze since it is still bleeding and I need to steer it away from infections. But Aesop, let me get this fact straight."

My eyes shifted to her direction.

"You're a champ. I mean it."

She then opened the door, and that was the exact same time Joseph walked in.

"Oh, Joseph! It's nice to see you again! But Aesop needs his rest at the moment, so can you-"

"No." I said, trying my best to let all the words out despite the pain my chest is giving me.

"Let him stay, Emily. Please."

JOSEPH
"Let him stay."

My breath feels like it has been taken off my lungs.

Did he really mean what he said?

"Aesop? Man. You can't. You need your rest! Having him here will-"

I saw the Embalmer shaking his head repetitively, indicating that he does not wanna listen to the Forward.

"William, it's fine. Let Joseph be with Aesop. We have stuff to be taken care of.. Now if you excuse us, Joseph..." The Doctor said, grabbing William's arm, dragging him away from us.

And now it is just the two of us.

I had my eyes on Aesop as I took a seat on the stool. Despite him still looking as sickly, my heart is still jumping in awe of the fact that he is now awake, after two whole weeks.

It was just pure silence when Aesop had his hand on my arm as he stared at me.

"Thank... you... Joseph..." The Embalmer said as I gave him a wide smile.

"You... had no idea how happy I was to.. see you by my side... the whole time...." He said again.

By now I was rubbing small circles on his palm as he talks. He has never talked to anyone this way before.

I felt myself blushing.

"That.. moment.... right when Jack left me to bleed before...the gate.... you... you were there to save me.... I couldn't be more thankful....."

It was when the Embalmer finally broke into tears.
"Can.... you... sit next to me, Joseph...? I... I need you..."

My eyes started getting all warm as I bit my lip to prevent the tears from coming out.

In less than a minute later, I had ended up laying down right next to Aesop as he placed his hands right on mine, intertwining it.

He said nothing as he is in tears, but the look on his face is more than enough to let me know that the fire inside our hearts had met and ignited. Right here and now.

I had my hands on his head as he slowly falls asleep, and that was the last thing I remembered before blackness took over.