Chapter 11

3rd PERSON POV
Survivors' Side
Vera sat all alone on the edge of her bed, hands on her cheeks. The feeling of guilt and saltiness had crept up inside her, drowning her in a pool of misery and sadness.

She has always had no idea how much words can actually hurt, even in the slightest means, before the last thing the embalmer Aesop Carl had said to her a few days ago before he completely stopped talking to her.

"Just butt out."

Not that she expected the embalmer to be more social - she knows about his anxiety - it is just she never expected the words from someone so ignorant and keeps everything all to himself would be aimed at her, not to mention he was very sick the moment he did all that.

She was not even picking at him in the first place! Why that attitude?

She had her attention on the bottle of perfume on her nightstand. That perfume was her weapon all her life. She gained the ability of turning back time to the point where she can turn back from fatal outcomes. That perfume had been her lifesaver.

But that power is only there during matches.

Aside from matches, that perfume is just a bottle of perfume that spreads scents to her room.

She was about to lose it when she heard a knock on her door.

"Vera? Are you there? We have a match in an hour."

Helena's unmistakable voice was the next thing that Vera encountered. The little girl had been the friendliest to her when anyone else is not.

The perfumer let her in before helping her walk towards the bed.

"Are you sick? It's not like you to seclude yourself from anyone." The mind's eye said, placing her walking cane on the floor.
"Or maybe you are still thinking about the night you went loose on Eli and Naib?"

Vera sighed as response. It really surprises her on how quick Helena is to figure things out despite her specialty.

As expected of The Mind's Eye.. She muttered to herself.

"Come on, Vera. Those two cool down and they forget about stuff real quick! They will forgive you, I'm pretty sure of it. Yeah gotta admit they act like children sometimes, but hey we need all that in this chaos! Why be sad while you have comedy?"

The perfumer took a huge breath. She wanted to cut to the chase.
"Helena, if you know what happened then did I really go overboard?"

"I know everything, Vera. And let me guess... it was Aesop's words you're thinking about... right?"

Vera felt the heat surging through her as the words escaped the blind girl's lips. Whatever she said was true.

She had it crystal clear the moment the embalmer had his stink-eye on her, telling her to piss off and not approach him before she makes a clear apology towards Eli and Naib. She just does not get why would he care for them so much though they might not notice it.

"I don't mean to make them superior than that of you but yeah you were. Any survivor in this manor knows that Aesop has always had issues with his physical state, and that has nothing to do with Eli and Naib. And just to let you know, those two being troublemakers isn't something new anymore."

Vera felt her heart go tighter as the mind's eye kept talking.
"But I just wanna protect--"

"That's not protecting, Vera Nair. You need to differ the act of defending and blaming. It is pretty obvious that those two have nothing to do with Aesop writhing in pain that day. Those two are the most to be asked because they are in the same floor as him. And just because we asked them doesn't mean they are the ones behind that. Aesop's condition just happened to drop that day!"