One || A Memory

The laughter of your attackers echoes throughout the woods as you duck behind a thick pine tree, horrified for your life. Buckets of rain are dumped down upon you, the thick droplets pounding on your skull. You cross your arms tightly and shiver uncontrollably, tears streaming down your face. Your shaking breath comes out in clouds and the group of boys grows closer.

  "(Y/N)~" One of them calls, his sneakers crunching the leaves beneath him, "Come out, come out wherever you are~"

Your panicked thoughts race around your head as you try to come up with a solution to escape the group. Their footsteps become louder, louder, louder...

You run for it.

Breaking out into a full sprint, you clench your jaw and run deeper into the woods. The group of boys shouts angrily and begins chasing after you, but you keep on going. You pant heavily, practically flying between the trees and bushes, adrenaline pumping through your veins. You can't stop, if you do...you won't be able to see tomorrow.

The boys come crashing behind you, making no attempt to stay quiet. They spit out insults that you've heard a million times, but you don't stop to turn around.

You're going so fast that you don't even realize the drop down ahead of you, so it catches you by surprise. Thanks to your athletic ability from doing track, however, you land somewhat gracefully and continue running. You have no idea where you're going to go from here, no idea what your next move is.

That is, until you spot the cave.

It's hidden behind a wall of green vines, barely even visible to someone who's not paying attention. With the boys lagging behind because of the drop, you dart into the cave and jog to the end of it.

Your breathing becomes ragged, you collapse on the floor of the cave and put your head in your hands. Your body shakes with silent sobs, you can't hold them back any longer. The boys' heavy footsteps fade away as they run right past your cave and a wave of relief washes over you. You slowly position yourself so your back is resting against the cave wall and wrap your arms around your tired legs.

"That was impressive," A voice says approvingly. The relief you just had fades away immediately and you tense up, jumping to your feet and clenching your fists.

"Who the hell was that?" You ask, sounding confident despite the fear shaking your soul. A dark figure emerges from the other end of the cave, you can't quite make out his face. He wears a thick black and white coat with a fluffy hood, a black and white scarf, white shorts, and holds a massive, bright red knife in his hand.

"Cross," He says shortly, "you are?"

You hesitate for a moment, still unsure of what you should do.

"...I'm (Y/N)," You reply.

That was three years ago. Three years ago, you were recruited by Cross to work for Nightmare.

Under the training of Cross, you became an unstoppable badass. When your training was completed, Nightmare initiated you by giving you powers similar to Cross'. You're now able to conjure swords made of deep blue energy, teleport, float, and shoot beams of magic at your enemies.

Your loyalty lies with Nightmare, you'll fight by his side no matter the conditions. Of course, being one of Nightmare's servants, you live in his castle. Error and Dust come to visit on some occasions, Horror only stays at the castle if there's food, and Killer and Cross live here just like you.

While you trained with Cross, the two of you became very close friends. He's the only one you fully trust in this messed up world, you feel like you've known him since you were a baby.

If only the people back in your dimension were like him.

~~~

You pound the punching bag in your gym with no mercy, causing it to tear. The thing swings back and forth and you keep on going, the memories of your terrible past fueling you to punch harder. Sweat bullets form all over your body, you're glad you decided to wear a tank top.

Thwack!

Something hits the back of your head and you whip your body around, ready to destroy whoever thought it would be a good idea to interrupt your workout.

  "Jeez, if looks could kill..." Cross says in mock disgust. You roll your eyes at him and grin, turning to steady the punching bag.

  "Hello to you too," You say. Cross chuckles and steps over towards you.

  "Nightmare says that we need to be on guard at the gate tonight," Cross says, placing his hands on his hips, "apparently the Star Sanses have been very active lately," Your expression darkens at the mention of those repulsive creatures.

"I see," You reply simply.

"We should teleport over now, you know how he gets when we're late," Cross says.

"Yeah, yeah" You say, "just let me clean up for a sec,"

"Alright, but make it quick," Cross replies.

You head over to the towel you hung on the weight rack and snatch it from its spot. After wiping off your face and hands, you turn to Cross and give him a nod. With that, the two of you teleport to the gate of Nightmare's castle.

You land on the right side of the gate while Cross appears on the left. Your friend pulls his scarf over his mouth out of habit and you conjure your swords. You both stand in silence for a few moments.

"If I ever meet those abominations, I'll..." You start.

"...I'll tear them to shreds,"

~~~

A/N: Hi! Thanks for taking the time to read my book. I hope you enjoyed it, tell me what you think so far in the comments!