Five || Changing Sides

Cross pants heavily, you can see in his eyes that he's beyond shocked at what he's done. His heavy breathing echoes around the silent room, no one dares to make a sound. Nightmare glares furiously at Cross, his single eye changing from its normal blue to a blood red.

"Yeah, Cross!"

"Well Done!"

Your eyes widen and you whip your head around to stare at the Star Sanses. Dream and Blue are beaming at your friend, their faces glowing with pride. Ink, on the other hand, looks as anxious as you feel right now. He pops his knuckles roughly and his brow is creased deeply.

"DUST, ERROR, HORROR, KILLER, (Y/N)! ATTACK THEM." Nightmare snarls, gesturing to Cross.

Error and Killer immediately ready their magic, grins of malice on their faces.

Dust and Horror glance at each other, then back at Nightmare. Without a word, both of them teleport out of the throne room, most likely back to their own universes.

Smart.

You feel a surge of magic from behind you and realize what's happening a second before it does. Ink, Dream, and Blue charge towards Nightmare at full speed, taking this opportunity to attack. Dream grips a shining, yellow bow and shoots arrows at his brother without hesitation. Their impact on Nightmare causes him to literally fall apart, his tar-like body breaking off wherever the arrows touch.

Blue heads straight for Killer, preparing a bone attack that you've never seen before. Ink, of course, makes a beeline for Error. Even without his paintbrush, he's incredibly powerful.

You and Cross stand by and watch the action unfold, both of you unsure of what to do. You share a look of desperation, neither of you have any clue which side you should take. Cross teleports over to your side and lets out a heavy sigh.

Time seems to slow down as you watch the fight between the most powerful beings in the universe. Ink summons a Gaster blaster made of paint and readies an attack at Error, his eyes changing color to a vibrant red. Killer and Blue send thousands of razor-sharp bones flying at each other, concentration written all over their faces. Dream relentlessly fires arrows of positive energy at Nightmare and the negative skeleton attempts to block them with his tentacles.

"What now?" You ask, raising your voice slightly so it can be heard over the battle.

"I was going to ask you the same thing," Cross says with an emotionless laugh.

"...Thank you for standing up for me, Cross," You say, placing a hand on his shoulder. Even though he's wearing his scarf over his face, you still pick up on a little smile.

"It's nothing, (Y/N)," He replies. A stray beam of yellow magic flies towards the two of you and you react quickly, easily summoning a shield of your magic to block it.

You stare in the direction of the beam and your eyes come across an unpleasant scene. Dream is trapped in Nightmare's tentacles, he struggles to get out, becoming more desperate by the second.

"Come on, Dream..." You mutter.

Wait...what?

Did I just...encourage Dream?

You cross your arms tightly and bite your tongue out of habit.

I should be supporting Nightmare, he's the one I pledged my loyalty to.

You attempt to feel nothing for Dream as his face contorts with pain, but you can't help it.

You hope he gets out of Nightmare's grasp.